Klein's Single Gives Gary 5-4 Walk-Off Win
GARY, Ind. -- After two failed bunt attempts in the bottom of the ninth, Adam Klein hit a butcher boy single over first baseman John Alonso's head to give the RailCats (20-30) a 5-4 walk-off win over the Saltdogs at U.S. Steel Yard Monday night.
The Saltdogs killed a Gary rally in the bottom of the seventh on a fly-out, throw-out-at-the-plate by Mike Provencher and Salomon Manriquez to keep the game tied at 4-4.
John Alonso, who was named American Association Hitter of the Week earlier in the day, went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI in the losing effort. Provencher and Stephen Holdren booked multi-hit days as well.
Chris Allen (4-4) pitched 1 2/3 perfect innings of relief, striking out two to earn the win. Tycen Po Vey (0-2) allowed a run on one hit in two-plus innings to take the loss.
Lincoln took a 3-1 lead in the fourth on four consecutive hits, including three opposite field doubles. RailCats tied the game at 4-4 with a Craig Maddox sacrifice fly in the bottom of the fifth.
The Saltdogs committed four errors and have now made 24 errors over the last 11 games.
The clubs meet again Tuesday night at 7:10 p.m. for the finale of the four-game series. Ricardo Estevez (0-0, 4.50) is expected to toe the slab for the 'Dogs. Radio coverage begins at 6:40 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
The inaugural Haymarket Park Beer Fest takes place on July 21 and features many great breweries such as New Belgium Brewing as well as live music. For more information please visit www.haymarketparkbeerfest.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 9, 2012
- X's Nipped by Saints - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Score Four in Ninth, Win in Extras 10-9 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lockwood's Blast Gives Airhogs Extra-Inning Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Edge Wingnuts Again - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lemurs Lose Tight Game - Laredo Lemurs
- Klein's Ninth-Inning Single Lifts RailCats to 5-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Klein's Single Gives Gary 5-4 Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Pheasants' Skid Reaches Five in Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Miles Ahead of Explorers in 3-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Two Dingers and Walker Pace Goldeyes Past Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Acquire Experienced Reliever - Wichita Wingnuts
- Alonso Garners Hitter of the Week Honors - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Pitcher Robert Coe Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.