Lockwood's Blast Gives Airhogs Extra-Inning Win
LAREDO, Texas - Trent Lockwood hit the first pitch of the 10th inning the other way for his seventh home run of the year, and John Brownell and Ronnie Morales held the Laredo Lemurs to one run and struck out seven of the last 11 batters to win 2-1 on Monday at Uni-Trade Stadium.
Lockwood's home run off Mike Benacka (0-2) was his seventh of the year, and evened the AirHogs' extra-innings record at 2-2. Morales (3-1), who struck out Uriak Marquez to end the ninth, struck out Brian Peterson and Anthony Scelfo to begin the bottom of the 10th, before Jimmy Mojica won a long full-count battle with a single. But the lefty reliever struck out the lefty-swinging Stephen Douglas swinging to end the game.
Keanon Simon led the game off against surprise starter Edwin Walker with a double, and scored on Brian Myrow's one-out double, but that was the last scoring the AirHogs (36-14) would do in regulation. They had two walks and four hits the rest of the first nine innings against Walker, Bradley Blanks, Chaz Roe and Benacka.
Brownell retired five straight hitters to start the game, but Stephen Pearson tripled off the leftfield wall and Palmer Karr doubled down the rightfield line on the first pitch he saw to tie the game.
That was all the scoring in regulation, as Brownell got around two hits in the fourth, a walk and a hit in the fifth, a single in the sixth before retiring 10 straight. Karr singled through the left side to keep the ninth alive, and Ricky VanAsselberg went to Morales against the lefty Marquez.
The move worked, and helped get VanAsselberg his 100th regular season win in 150 games as Grand Prairie manager.
Notes: Fourteen of the last 18 combined outs were strikeouts...Each team had eight hits...The eight Lemurs hits came from four players who had two hits apiece...Yasutsugu Nishimoto's 22-game on-base streak came to an end with an 0-for-4 night but Myrow's 38-game run and Andres Rodriguez's 13-game on-base streak are still alive.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs conclude their four-game series against the Laredo Lemurs on Tuesday, July 10, at 7:30 p.m. The next home game at QuikTrip Park is on Friday, June 20, at 7:05 against the Kansas City T-Bones, with Coors Light Jerseys off our Backs Night, where all fans will have a chance to win the AirHogs' specialty jerseys right off their backs. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 9, 2012
- X's Nipped by Saints - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Score Four in Ninth, Win in Extras 10-9 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lockwood's Blast Gives Airhogs Extra-Inning Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Edge Wingnuts Again - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lemurs Lose Tight Game - Laredo Lemurs
- Klein's Ninth-Inning Single Lifts RailCats to 5-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Klein's Single Gives Gary 5-4 Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Pheasants' Skid Reaches Five in Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Miles Ahead of Explorers in 3-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Two Dingers and Walker Pace Goldeyes Past Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Acquire Experienced Reliever - Wichita Wingnuts
- Alonso Garners Hitter of the Week Honors - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Pitcher Robert Coe Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs