Tourists Hit Their Stride in 14-4 Victory
WINSTON-SALEM- The Asheville Tourists went to work early and often in their 14-4 victory over the Winston-Salem Dash on Friday night. One day after dropping their first game of the series, the Tourists responded with a monstrous offensive performance and a dominant pitching performance from their starting pitcher Diosmerky Taveras.
Yainer Diaz gave Asheville a 1-0 lead with an RBI single in the top of the first inning. The Tourists exploded in the top of the second for another seven runs. Alex Holderbach began the barrage with an RBI double to right. Zach Daniels drove in a run with an RBI single and Shay Whitcomb followed with a two-run single of his own. Diaz brought home a run with another RBI single and Deury Carrasco plated a pair with a ground-rule double down the right-field line.
Whitcomb and C.J. Stubbs played long ball later on. Shay hit a solo Home Run in the sixth inning and Stubbs belted a Grand Slam in the eighth. The Tourists offense finished with 16 hits. Seven of the nine players contributed multi-hit efforts.
Taveras led the pitching with six strong innings. The right-hander struck out eight and allowed only two hits. Ernesto Jaquez worked the seventh and eighth innings while Danny Cody sat down the Dash in order in the ninth.
Asheville can secure their third straight road series win with one more victory over their final two games. The Tourists and Dash will square off on Saturday night with the first pitch set for 7:00pm ET.
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 18, 2021
- Greenville Clips Ironbirds, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- BKLYN Clubs Five Homers as they Beat BlueClaws, 9-2 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- BlueClaws Fall 9-2 on Saturday in Season's Penultimate Game - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Tonight's Game, Fireworks Cancelled - Rome Braves
- Rome Sends Higginbotham, Woods to Double-A, Adds Ramirez - Rome Braves
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 18) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Tourists Hit Their Stride in 14-4 Victory - Asheville Tourists
- Qsar Sets Home Run Record in 4-1 Win over Wilmington on Friday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.