Torra Tosses Gem In 3-2 Aces Win Over Bees
RENO, Nev.- Matt Torra allowed just two runs in seven innings of work, and Collin Cowgill hit a two-run homer, leading Reno to a 3-2 victory over the Salt Lake Bees Saturday night at Aces Ballpark.
Torra (4-0) scattered just seven hits and struck out four en route to his third quality start in his last four outings. The right-hander surrendered just one base on balls Saturday before handing the ball over to Kam Mickolio, who tossed a scoreless eighth inning. Bryan Shaw slammed the door with a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his third save of the season.
Cowgill's opposite field blast in the third inning-his 10th of the season-erased an early 1-0 deficit. After Salt Lake tied the game at two in the fifth, Lucas May drove in the eventual game-winning run with a two-out double, handing the Aces a series-opening victory and their fourth win in the last five days.
Matt Palmer (2-5) took the loss for the Bees, allowing all three Aces runs and 10 hits in 5.2 innings of work.
May-playing in his first game with the Aces since being acquired in a trade by the Arizona Diamondbacks-finished 2-for-3 for Reno, while leadoff man Evan Frey had three hits in four at-bats. Cowgill raised his batting average to .347 with a two-hit evening and stretched his hitting streak to a career-best 13 games.
The two teams square off again Sunday afternoon at Aces Ballpark, when first-place Reno sends RHP Kevin Mulvey (3-4, 7.42 ERA) to the mound. Salt Lake will counter with LHP Ryan Ketchner (3-2, 3.73 ERA), with the first pitch set for 1:05 p.m. PT. At Sunday's game, 1,500 fans 12 and under will receive a pair of Silly Bandz, presented by Northern Nevada Dairymen.
Tickets can be purchased at the Aces Ballpark Box Office, online at www.RenoAces.com or by phone at (775) 334-7000. A variety of partial season ticket plans as well as prorated full-season tickets are available today.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 5, 2011
- Six-Run First Dooms Zephyrs in Third Straight Loss - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rivas Deals as Sounds Win 7-1 in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Loux Masterful as Grizzlies Take Game One - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Outlast RedHawks on Sunday, 3-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Drop Second Straight to River Cats 12-10 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bees Rally Late for 3-2 Win Over Aces - Reno Aces
- Cubs Walk off against Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Rips Isotopes, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camp Delivers in Clutch as Cubs Beat Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Knocks Six Doubles in Series-Tying Win - Round Rock Express
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Transactions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Aces Roll out Unique Father's Day Package - Reno Aces
- Padres win wild game - Tucson Padres
- Torra Tosses Gem In 3-2 Aces Win Over Bees - Reno Aces
- Sky Sox fall to River Cats 5-3 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Take Opener from RedHawks - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- Aces, Greater Nevada Field to Host World Series Watch Party
- Aces Program at Greater Nevada Field Raises More Than $61,000
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Slaughter House Halloween Attraction
- Reno Aces, Vegas Desert Sports Partner to Host Golden Knights Watch Parties in Northern Nevada
- Greater Nevada Field, Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe Brings Teton Gravity Research Winter Film to Northern Nevada