Sky Sox fall to River Cats 5-3
The Colorado Springs Sky Sox dropped game one of their four game series against the Sacramento River Cats 5-3 in front of 4,536 fans at Security Service Field.
The Sox took an early lead off of Sacramento starter Graham Godfrey, loading the bases with nobody out in the first but only managed to score one run in the inning on a sacrifice fly by Cole Garner. The lost opportunity would come back to haunt the Sox.
After the River Cats tied the game with a run in the top of the second, the Sox responded with a run on a Willy Taveras single to reclaim the lead at 2-1.
The River Cats would take control of the game with back-to-back home runs in the sixth inning off of Sox starter Alan Johnson. Scott Sizemore followed a Jemile Weeks single with a two-run blast to give Sacramento a 3-2 lead. The next batter, Matt Carson, followed with a solo shot off of the scoreboard in left-center field for a 4-2 lead. Sacramento would tack on another run in the seventh on an RBI single by Weeks.
Johnson (1-3, 6.27) took the loss allowing four runs on six hits in 6.0 innings while striking out seven as the Sox saw their three-game winning streak snapped. Godfrey (7-1, 2.50) picked up the win allowing two runs (one earned) on six hits in 6.0 innings. Willie Eyre pitched the ninth for his fifth save of the season.
With the loss the Sox fall to 26-31 while Sacramento improves their league-best record to 37-20.
Game two is scheduled for 1:05 PM Sunday afternoon with Josh Muecke (2-3, 5.88) set to face off against Travis Banwart (2-3, 3.23)
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 5, 2011
- Six-Run First Dooms Zephyrs in Third Straight Loss - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rivas Deals as Sounds Win 7-1 in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Loux Masterful as Grizzlies Take Game One - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Outlast RedHawks on Sunday, 3-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Drop Second Straight to River Cats 12-10 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bees Rally Late for 3-2 Win Over Aces - Reno Aces
- Cubs Walk off against Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Rips Isotopes, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camp Delivers in Clutch as Cubs Beat Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Knocks Six Doubles in Series-Tying Win - Round Rock Express
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Transactions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Aces Roll out Unique Father's Day Package - Reno Aces
- Padres win wild game - Tucson Padres
- Torra Tosses Gem In 3-2 Aces Win Over Bees - Reno Aces
- Sky Sox fall to River Cats 5-3 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Take Opener from RedHawks - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Sky Sox Stories
- Dodgers Force Sky Sox to Monday Division Decision
- Sky Sox Saturday Night Games Postponed Due to Heavy Rain
- Sky Sox One Win Shy of Clinching American North Division
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow
- Sky Sox Catcher Christian Bethancourt Named to All-PCL Team