Sky Sox Drop Second Straight to River Cats 12-10
Adrian Cardenas went 3-for-4 with a home run and four RBI as the Sacramento River Cats defeated the Colorado Springs Sky Sox 12-10 Sunday afternoon in front of 4,847 fans at Security Service Field.
Cardenas got the River Cats on the board with a three-run shot off of Sox Starter Josh Muecke in the first inning. A solo shot off the bat of Michael Taylor in the third inning staked the River Cats to a 4-2 lead. In the fourth, Sacramento broke the game open with a seven-run inning, highlighted by a Jai Miller Grand Slam and a two-run shot by Anthony Recker.
Faced with an 11-2 deficit, the Sox battled back with four runs in the fourth and three runs in the fifth. Ian Stewart had a solo home run in the rally, his eighth of the season, to move him into sole possession of tenth place on the Sky Sox all-time home run list. Alfredo Amezaga had three RBI in the rally on base hits in the fourth and fifth innings.
Cardenas would provide Sacramento with some insurance in the sixth with a ground-rule RBI double to give the River Cats a 12-9 lead.
Mike Jacobs would add an RBI single in the Sox half of the sixth to draw the Sox within two runs at 12-10, but they would get no closer as three River Cats relievers held them without a run for the final three innings.
Muecke (2-4, 6.80) took the loss for the Sox, who dropped their second straight game to the River Cats and fell to 26-32 on the year. Jerry Blevins (1-0, 9.00) picked up the win in relief for the River Cats, pitching a perfect eighth inning and striking out two. Willie Eyre saved his second straight game against the Sox and sixth overall as the River Cats improved to a PCL-best 38-20 on the season.
The Sox will look to return to their winning ways Monday night as Billy Buckner (1-1, 6.50) takes the mound against Yadel Marti (2-1, 4.86). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM MT.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 5, 2011
- Six-Run First Dooms Zephyrs in Third Straight Loss - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rivas Deals as Sounds Win 7-1 in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Loux Masterful as Grizzlies Take Game One - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Outlast RedHawks on Sunday, 3-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Drop Second Straight to River Cats 12-10 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bees Rally Late for 3-2 Win Over Aces - Reno Aces
- Cubs Walk off against Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Rips Isotopes, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camp Delivers in Clutch as Cubs Beat Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Knocks Six Doubles in Series-Tying Win - Round Rock Express
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Transactions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Aces Roll out Unique Father's Day Package - Reno Aces
- Padres win wild game - Tucson Padres
- Torra Tosses Gem In 3-2 Aces Win Over Bees - Reno Aces
- Sky Sox fall to River Cats 5-3 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Take Opener from RedHawks - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Sky Sox Stories
- Dodgers Force Sky Sox to Monday Division Decision
- Sky Sox Saturday Night Games Postponed Due to Heavy Rain
- Sky Sox One Win Shy of Clinching American North Division
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow
- Sky Sox Catcher Christian Bethancourt Named to All-PCL Team