Redbirds Take Opener from RedHawks
Oklahoma City, Okla. - Three different hitters knocked in a pair of runs leading the Memphis Redbirds (25-30) to an 8-4 win over the Oklahoma City RedHawks (24-32) before 8,312 Saturday night at RedHawks Field at Bricktown.
Memphis starter Adam Ottovino (2-4) allowed two runs, one earned, and five hits in six and two-thirds innings for the winning decision. Oklahoma City starter Andy Van Hekken (0-2) allowed four earned runs and six hits in three innings for the loss.
Memphis opened an early lead when Pete Kozma belted a solo home run in the first inning for a 1-0 score. The Redbirds added three runs in the third inning with a two-run double from Jose Garcia and an RBI single from Bryan Anderson for a 4-0 Memphis lead.
The RedHawks got on the board in the third inning when Jose Vallejo belted a solo home run, his second of the season, cutting the Memphis lead to 4-1.
The Redbirds continued to build the lead in the fourth inning on a fielder's choice RBI from Aaron Luna for a 5-1 game. Andrew Brown belted a two-run home run in the sixth inning for a 7-1 Memphis advantage.
Oklahoma City scored three times in the seventh inning with a bases loaded walk from Brandon Barnes and a two-run single from Brian Bogusevic for a 7-4 score.
Memphis ended the scoring with an eighth inning RBI single by Bryan Anderson for an 8-4 game.
RedHawks RH Sergio Perez will face Redbirds RH P.J. Walters in game two of the series Sunday at 4:05 p.m. Tickets are available through the RedHawks box office at 405-218-1000 or by visiting okcredhawks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 5, 2011
- Six-Run First Dooms Zephyrs in Third Straight Loss - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rivas Deals as Sounds Win 7-1 in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Loux Masterful as Grizzlies Take Game One - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Outlast RedHawks on Sunday, 3-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Drop Second Straight to River Cats 12-10 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bees Rally Late for 3-2 Win Over Aces - Reno Aces
- Cubs Walk off against Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Rips Isotopes, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camp Delivers in Clutch as Cubs Beat Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Knocks Six Doubles in Series-Tying Win - Round Rock Express
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Transactions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Aces Roll out Unique Father's Day Package - Reno Aces
- Padres win wild game - Tucson Padres
- Torra Tosses Gem In 3-2 Aces Win Over Bees - Reno Aces
- Sky Sox fall to River Cats 5-3 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Take Opener from RedHawks - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Introducing Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City
- OKC Dodgers to Unveil Alternate "Es Divertido Ser Un Fan" Identity
- OKC Dodgers Hosting Fourth Annual Fan Fest March 31
- OKC Dodgers Rookie League Registration Event Saturday in Bricktown
- Deadline Approaching to Sign up for OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy