Loux Masterful as Grizzlies Take Game One
FRESNO- Shane Loux has been the victim of poor run support and tough losses through most of the 2011 season. The veteran right-hander took matters into his own hands in the first game of Sunday's doubleheader against Las Vegas, shutting out the 51s on just three hits over seven innings in a 3-0 Fresno victory.
Loux (3-7), was masterful for the most part, retiring 10 in a row at one point. He did not allow a runner past second base until Adam Loewen reached third with two outs in the final frame. It was Loux's first shutout since his final start of 2010, when he allowed just five hits over 9.0 scoreless frames to beat Albuquerque while pitching for Round Rock.
The Grizzlies got on the board early thanks to the speed of Tyler Graham. In the bottom of the first, the leadoff man singled up the middle, stole second and third, and scored on Thomas Neal's RBI-groundout to put Fresno up, 1-0.
The steals marked Graham's league leading 27th and 28th of the season, giving him 67 for his Grizzlies career. He needs just one more to match Dante Powell for second on the franchise list, and four more to equal all-time leader Jason Ellison. The speedster led the Grizzlies with 35 swipes in 2010, the fourth-highest single-season total for a Fresno player.
Fresno worked a little two-out magic in the third, as Graham chopped a squib on the left side of the infield and beat Craig Stansberry's throw to first by a half step. With Graham distracting 51s starter Brad Mills, drawing multiple pick-off throws, Edgar Gonzalez belted a hanging, 1-1 changeup into the bleachers in left to put the home side up, 3-0.
Mills (4-5) was otherwise effective, allowing just four hits over his 6.0 innings of work, striking out seven without a walk. Despite his quality start, the southpaw fell for the second time in three starts against Fresno this season.
The 51s send lefty Willie Collazo (1-1) to the hill against Fresno southpaw Matt Yourkin (4-4) in Game Two.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 5, 2011
- Six-Run First Dooms Zephyrs in Third Straight Loss - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rivas Deals as Sounds Win 7-1 in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Loux Masterful as Grizzlies Take Game One - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Outlast RedHawks on Sunday, 3-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Drop Second Straight to River Cats 12-10 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bees Rally Late for 3-2 Win Over Aces - Reno Aces
- Cubs Walk off against Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Rips Isotopes, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camp Delivers in Clutch as Cubs Beat Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Knocks Six Doubles in Series-Tying Win - Round Rock Express
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Transactions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Aces Roll out Unique Father's Day Package - Reno Aces
- Padres win wild game - Tucson Padres
- Torra Tosses Gem In 3-2 Aces Win Over Bees - Reno Aces
- Sky Sox fall to River Cats 5-3 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Take Opener from RedHawks - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies and Partners Finalize CA Wildfire Supply & Donation Drive
- Fresno Grizzlies Announce Washington Nationals as New Triple-A Affiliate
- Fresno Grizzlies to Seek New MLB Affiliate for 2019
- Grizzlies Season Ends with 5-0 Loss to Memphis
- Walk-Off Squeeze Bunt Gives Memphis a 2-1 Series Lead over Fresno