TinCaps Transaction & Game Information: September 14 at Dayton
Effective Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Right-handed pitcher Kevin Kopps transferred from High-A Fort Wayne to Double-A San Antonio
Fort Wayne TinCaps (54-60) @ Dayton Dragons (59-55)
Tuesday, Sept. 14 (7:05 p.m.) | Parkview Field | Fort Wayne, Ind. | Game 1 of 6 in Series | Road Game 55 of 60 | Game 115 of 120
RHP Connor Lehmann (7.04 ERA) vs. RHP Christian Roa (4.55 ERA)
TV: MiLB.TV | Radio: 1380 The Fan & 100.9 FM + TinCapsRadio.com (John Nolan & Jack McMullen)
LAST WEEK: The TinCaps split their 6-game series at home against the Lansing Lugnuts. After being shut out on Friday, Fort Wayne's offense roared back with a 9-7 win Saturday and then a 7-1 triumph on Sunday. The 'Caps had 15 and 16 hits in those victories, respectively. On Sunday, right fielder Tirso Ornelas tied a career high with 4 hits, including a double and a home run (1 of 3 homers for the TinCaps on the day, setting a new season-high for a home game).
PACKING PARKVIEW FIELD: On Saturday night, the TinCaps had their 3rd largest crowd of the season. The attendance of 7,226 fans marked the 11th sell-out of the season in Fort Wayne. It was also the 5th largest crowd out of all 60 in Minor League Baseball that night, including the largest for any Single-A club.
PITCHING PROGRESS: Over their last 60 games since July 7, TinCaps pitchers have the 2nd lowest ERA out of all 30 teams in High-A (3.79), as the team has gone 31-29. In this stretch, 'Caps pitchers also have allowed the fewest home runs in High-A: 30 (16 less than anyone else). Over their first 54 games, they ranked 9th/12 in High-A Central at 5.25 and had a 23-31 mark.
DOUBLES LEADER: As a team, the TinCaps rank 2nd in the HAC in doubles with 205. Individually, outfielder Tirso Ornelas leads the league in 2B with 31, while infielder Justin Lopez ranks 6th with 23.
PATIENT APPROACH: The TinCaps lead the HAC in free passes (walks and hit by pitches), averaging about 5 per game. Fort Wayne is walking in approximately 12% of its plate appearances. The rest of the league has walked at a 10% rate... For context, the Yankees lead MLB in BB% (10.5%). The Padres rank 2nd (9.9%).
THE MORE, THE MERRIER: The TinCaps have utilized 57 players over the course of the season (27 position players, 30 pitchers). Fort Wayne used 58 players over the course of 140 games in 2019. The franchise record is 63 in 2016.
HASSELL'S HISTORIC HOMERS: On Sept. 1 @ Great Lakes, in just his 3rd game with the TinCaps since being called up from Low-A Lake Elsinore, Padres No. 3 prospect Robert Hassell III became just the 3rd player in Fort Wayne's 28-season franchise history to hit 3 home runs in a game.
ANGELES HIGHLIGHTS: Euribiel Angeles was leading Low-A in batting at .343 when he was called up from Lake Elsinore on Aug. 28. At 19, he's the 2nd youngest hitter in the HAC... Last week he was selected with the 12th overall pick (2nd round) in the Dominican Professional Baseball League (LIDOM) Draft by the Toros del Este.
TIRSO TURNS IT UP: Outfielder Tirso Ornelas has hit safely in 12 consecutive starts. In fact, in 17 games since Aug. 25, he's batting .397 with a .472 OBP and 1.075 OPS. His season average has jumped from .216 to .248, while his season OPS has spiked 71 points to .739 (league average is .720).
LOPEZ LOCKS IN: Over his last 23 games, since Aug. 13, infielder Justin Lopez has hit .314 with an .816 OPS (7 doubles, 2 HR) and 21 RBIs. For the season, his 64 RBIs rank 6th in the HAC.
GIVIN GETS AROUND: Chris Givin is making his 12th start for the 'Caps this year at first base. He's also started 22 at shortstop, 16 at second, and 5 at third.
LOOK OUT: Dayton pitchers have hit the 2nd most batters in the HAC (84). For the 'Caps, Ripken Reyes has been hit 8 times through 14 games here, Euribiel Angeles 4 times in 11, and Jonny Homza a team-high 11 times.
REY RUNS: Reinaldo Ilarraza is tied for 3rd in the HAC in stolen bases (37).
CLOSE CALLS: The TinCaps are 15-9 in games decided by 1 run, and 10-15 in 2-run games... The 'Caps are 4-2 in extra-innings.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 14, 2021
- QC Walks It off on South Bend, Again - South Bend Cubs
- Peoria Chiefs Announce 2022 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- 31 HRs for Pages, Loons Fall Short to Wisconsin - Great Lakes Loons
- Wiemer's Late Homer Puts Wisconsin Ahead to Stay at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Walker, Lunn Power Chiefs to Victory in Opener - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Offense Shut Down in Series Opener in Peoria - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hassell Triples, Ornelas Keeps Hitting, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 'Caps and 'Nuts Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Siani, Cerda Belt Home Runs as Dragons Notch Runaway Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Long Ball Downs Snappers 8-2 - Beloit Snappers
- Coulter's Career Start Brings Series Opening Win to Lake County - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts and Whitecaps Rained Out, to Play Two Wednesday - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Transaction & Game Information: September 14 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Toyota Road Report: 9/12-9/19 - South Bend Cubs
- Dayton Dragons Announce 2022 Schedule - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Anthem Game Changers Honoree for Dragons September 15 Game - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2022 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.