Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Tuesday
Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2021 l Game # 115
Day Air Ballpark l Dayton, Ohio l 7:05 p.m.
Radio: 980 WONE Fox Sports
Fort Wayne TinCaps (54-60) at Dayton Dragons (59-55)
RH Connor Lehman (3-3, 7.04) vs. RH Christian Roa (1-2, 4.55)
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Fort Wayne TinCaps (affiliate of the San Diego Padres) in the first game of a six-game series. This is the final series of the regular season.
2021 Season Series: Dayton 10, Fort Wayne 8. (At Dayton: Dragons 4, TinCaps 2). Current Series: First game tonight.
Last Game: Sunday: Lake County 7, Dayton 5. Lake County erased a 5-1 deficit with six runs in the seventh inning on only one hit. They took advantage of three walks, two hit batsmen, three wild pitches, and a costly error. Jonathan Willems hit a grand slam home run and collected three hits for Dayton.
The Dragons roster includes eight players ranked among the top-20 prospects in the Reds organization. In the recently-updated MLB.com rankings, Matt McLain is the #4 prospect in the Reds system; Mat Nelson is #10, Michael Siani is #12, Lyon Richardson is #14, Christian Roa is #15, Bryce Bonnin is #16, Ivan Johnson is #17, and Allan Cerda is #18. In the mid-season update of Reds top-10 prospects by Baseball America, McLain is #4, Nelson is #11, Bonnin is #13, Roa is #14, and Johnson is #15. Siani was listed by Baseball America as the "Best Athlete" and "Best Defensive Outfielder" in the Reds organization entering the season.
High-A Central League Playoffs: Major League Baseball has announced that leagues at three classifications, including the High-A Central League, will conduct playoffs in September. The top two teams in each league, regardless of division, will meet in a best-of-five series.
Playoff Race: The Dragons are four games behind Cedar Rapids in the race for the #2 seed in the 2021 post-season with six games to play.
Salazar and a Possible ERA Title: Former Dragons starting pitcher Eduardo Salazar now leads the High-A Central League in earned run average and has compiled enough innings in the league to meet the minimum number to qualify over a full 120-game season (96 IP is the minimum for the season; Salazar has 98). Salazar, now on the injured list at Double-A Chattanooga, compiled an ERA with the Dragons of 3.49. The second ranked pitcher in the league is Peoria's Wilfredo Pereira at 3.53. Pereira needs another 4.1 innings to reach 96 IP for the year and has one more start. If he throws 4.1 innings and allows one earned run or less, he would overtake Salazar. Only one pitcher in Dragons history has led the league in ERA: Josh Hall in 2001 at 2.65. In 2015, Tyler Mahle finished the season with an ERA of 2.43, the same as Peoria's Matt Pearce. When their ERA's were extended to a third decimal point, Mahle lost the title with a mark of 2.428 to Pearce's ERA of 2.426.
Jacob Hurtubise is hitting .364 (12 for 33) over his last 11 games.
Ivan Johnson had an 11-game hitting streak snapped on Sunday. He hit .308 (12 for 39) with two home runs, three doubles, and nine RBI during the streak.
Matt McLain is hitting .333 (11 for 33) over his last 11 games. He has also drawn eight walks.
Andy Fisher over his last 10 relief appearances: 18 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 7 BB, 23 SO, 2.00 ERA, 1-0, 1 Sv.
Stevie Branche since joining the Dragons: 11 G, 17 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 11 BB, 27 SO, 1.06 ERA, 2-0, 1 Sv.
Vin Timpanelli over his last eight relief appearances: 10.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 22 SO, 3 Sv. Opponents are 2 for 34 with 22 Ks.
The Dragons lead the High-A Central League in team ERA in the month of September, at 3.27. They also lead the league in lowest opponent batting average (.165) and strikeouts (138 in 99 innings).
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Wed., Sept. 15 (7:05 p.m.): Fort Wayne RH Gabe Mosser (4-7, 4.19) at Dayton RH Thomas Farr (no record)
Thur., Sept. 16 (7:05 p.m.): Fort Wayne LH Danny Denz (0-2, 2.62) at Dayton RH James Marinan (1-0, 0.00)
Fri., Sept. 17 (7:05 p.m.): Fort Wayne LH Noel Vela (0-2, 2.97) at Dayton RH Carson Spiers (5-4, 3.86)
Sat., Sept. 18 (7:05 p.m.): Fort Wayne TBA at Dayton RH James Proctor (0-1, 4.38) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
Sun., Sept. 19 (2:05 p.m.): Fort Wayne RH Connor Lehmann at Dayton RH Christian Roa TV: Dayton's CW (26)
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 14, 2021
- QC Walks It off on South Bend, Again - South Bend Cubs
- Peoria Chiefs Announce 2022 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- 31 HRs for Pages, Loons Fall Short to Wisconsin - Great Lakes Loons
- Wiemer's Late Homer Puts Wisconsin Ahead to Stay at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Walker, Lunn Power Chiefs to Victory in Opener - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Offense Shut Down in Series Opener in Peoria - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hassell Triples, Ornelas Keeps Hitting, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 'Caps and 'Nuts Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Siani, Cerda Belt Home Runs as Dragons Notch Runaway Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Long Ball Downs Snappers 8-2 - Beloit Snappers
- Coulter's Career Start Brings Series Opening Win to Lake County - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts and Whitecaps Rained Out, to Play Two Wednesday - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Transaction & Game Information: September 14 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Toyota Road Report: 9/12-9/19 - South Bend Cubs
- Dayton Dragons Announce 2022 Schedule - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Anthem Game Changers Honoree for Dragons September 15 Game - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2022 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday
- Dragons Win But Playoff Hopes End as Cedar Rapids Tops Peoria
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday
- Dragons Earn 4th Straight Win, Stay in Playoff Hunt