Siani, Cerda Belt Home Runs as Dragons Notch Runaway Victory
Dayton, Ohio - Michael Siani and Allan Cerda hit home runs and Dayton pitchers combined to shutout Fort Wayne over the first eighth innings as the Dragons defeated the TinCaps 10-2 on Tuesday night. A crowd of 6,715 was in attendance at Day Air Ballpark.
Dragons starting pitcher Christian Roa (2-2) had his third straight excellent start in September, tossing five scoreless innings while surrendering five hits with three walks and two strikeouts to earn the win. In September, Roa has given up only one run in 16 innings.
Jake Gilbert followed Roa with two scoreless innings. Ricky Karcher tossed a scoreless eighth inning before allowing two runs in the ninth. Vin Timpanelli recorded the final two outs to close out the game.
The Dragons built a big lead early in the game. Siani homered to lead off the bottom of the first inning, his sixth home run of the season. Cerda hit a solo home run as part of a three-run second, and the Dragons scored five runs in the third, keyed by a three-run double by Matt McLain, to take a 9-0 lead. Dayton added another run in the eighth before Fort Wayne scored two runs in the ninth.
Juan Martinez reached base five times for the Dragons, going 3 for 3 with two walks. Cerda added two hits as part of a nine-hit Dragons attack.
The Dragons need just one win in their final five games to clinch a winning record for the 2021 season.
The Race: With five games to play, the Dragons trail Cedar Rapids by three games in the race for the #2 seed in the playoffs. They are two games out of first place in the East Division (division winner not guaranteed a playoff berth).
Up Next: The Dragons (60-55) host Fort Wayne (54-61) in the second game of a six-game series at Day Air Ballpark in Dayton on Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. Thomas Farr, called up Monday from Daytona, will make his first start for the Dragons. Farr was the Reds fifth round draft pick in 2021 out of the University of South Carolina.
On the Air: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on 980 WONE AM Fox Sports. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2.
For Dragons 2021 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287 or go to daytondragons.com.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 14, 2021
- QC Walks It off on South Bend, Again - South Bend Cubs
- Peoria Chiefs Announce 2022 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- 31 HRs for Pages, Loons Fall Short to Wisconsin - Great Lakes Loons
- Wiemer's Late Homer Puts Wisconsin Ahead to Stay at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Walker, Lunn Power Chiefs to Victory in Opener - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Offense Shut Down in Series Opener in Peoria - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hassell Triples, Ornelas Keeps Hitting, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 'Caps and 'Nuts Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Siani, Cerda Belt Home Runs as Dragons Notch Runaway Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Long Ball Downs Snappers 8-2 - Beloit Snappers
- Coulter's Career Start Brings Series Opening Win to Lake County - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts and Whitecaps Rained Out, to Play Two Wednesday - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Transaction & Game Information: September 14 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Toyota Road Report: 9/12-9/19 - South Bend Cubs
- Dayton Dragons Announce 2022 Schedule - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Anthem Game Changers Honoree for Dragons September 15 Game - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2022 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday
- Dragons Win But Playoff Hopes End as Cedar Rapids Tops Peoria
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday
- Dragons Earn 4th Straight Win, Stay in Playoff Hunt