Anthem Game Changers Honoree for Dragons September 15 Game
Dayton, Ohio - Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Ohio and the Dayton Dragons will host the Dayton Foodbank for the unique Anthem Game Changers program on Wednesday, September 15, at 7:00 p.m., when the Dayton Dragons take on the Fort Wayne Tincaps at Day Air Ballpark.
The Anthem Game Changer program recognizes essential workers, and their organizations, for the relentless commitment to the community during the pandemic. Their selfless efforts to provide necessities such as food, education, and emergency medical support throughout Covid-19 are immeasurable.
Dayton Foodbank's Story
When the pandemic shut the world down last spring, essential personnel rose to the occasion to provide critical needs for our community. The selfless efforts of these people ensured we still had access to necessities such as food, education, and emergency medical support. Today, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Ohio and the Dayton Dragons highlight the Dayton Foodbank, their volunteers, and their partner agencies for being Game Changers during COVID-19.
For nearly 40 years, the Foodbank has served as the primary source of food for the hunger relief network in the Miami Valley. Through a network of pantries, community kitchens, shelters and other charitable programs, the organization distributes food and related supplies throughout the Dayton region.
In a traditional year, their service area covers around 120,000 people, with 34,000 of them being children. However, when the pandemic hit, food insecurity skyrocketed. People across the nation lost their jobs, their pay, and access to their primary source of food. At the same time, the spread of COVID-19 had a tremendous impact on the Foodbank's operations, as well. They faced difficult decisions about staffing, many distribution points closed, and their volunteer program halted.
Nevertheless, the Dayton Foodbank persisted. They reached out to local National Guard members for help, they set up deliveries for families, and they participated in the USDA Farmers to Families box program - a program that would dramatically increase the amount of food they had onsite. Now open three days a week, their drive-through can see up to 750 unique households per day, where normally they would see 125. Despite the massive increase in food needs and less staff, they made it happen.
Hunger will continue to be a hurdle for many even after COVID-19, and a topic the Foodbank will continue to fight. Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Ohio and the Dayton Dragons applaud the Dayton Foodbank, their volunteers, and their partner agencies for their commitment to provide for our community during an unprecedented time, and long after.
The Dragons play at beautiful, downtown Day Air Ballpark and are scheduled to play six more home games during the regular season. Game times are 7:05 p.m. for Tuesday through Saturday games and 2:05 p.m. on Sundays. No Monday games are scheduled at this time. Gates open one hour prior to game time. Single-game tickets for all Dragons 2021 home games are available at www.daytondragons.com or by phone at (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 14, 2021
- QC Walks It off on South Bend, Again - South Bend Cubs
- Peoria Chiefs Announce 2022 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- 31 HRs for Pages, Loons Fall Short to Wisconsin - Great Lakes Loons
- Wiemer's Late Homer Puts Wisconsin Ahead to Stay at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Walker, Lunn Power Chiefs to Victory in Opener - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Offense Shut Down in Series Opener in Peoria - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hassell Triples, Ornelas Keeps Hitting, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 'Caps and 'Nuts Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Siani, Cerda Belt Home Runs as Dragons Notch Runaway Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Long Ball Downs Snappers 8-2 - Beloit Snappers
- Coulter's Career Start Brings Series Opening Win to Lake County - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts and Whitecaps Rained Out, to Play Two Wednesday - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Transaction & Game Information: September 14 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Toyota Road Report: 9/12-9/19 - South Bend Cubs
- Dayton Dragons Announce 2022 Schedule - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Anthem Game Changers Honoree for Dragons September 15 Game - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2022 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday
- Dragons Win But Playoff Hopes End as Cedar Rapids Tops Peoria
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday
- Dragons Earn 4th Straight Win, Stay in Playoff Hunt