Kernels Offense Shut Down in Series Opener in Peoria
PEORIA, Illinois - The Cedar Rapids Kernels dropped their series opener against Peoria on Tuesday evening, 6-1.
The Kernels had trouble against Peoria starting pitcher, Connor Lunn. He went seven innings, only gave up four hits, one run struck out eight batters, and didn't walk a single batter. It was the fourth time Lunn had gone seven innings and it was his first win against the Kernels this season.
Peoria got on the board in the first inning on an RBI groundout from Jhon Torres, scoring Masyn Winn. Then in the bottom of the third, Jordan Walker blasted a three-run home run to left field, giving the Chiefs a 4-0 lead. The lead was never in jeopardy after that.
The lone run for the Kernels came in the top of the fifth inning when DaShawn Keirsey Jr. hit a solo home run to left-center, his fifth home run of the season.
Even with the loss, the Kernels still maintain a one-game lead for the second playoff spot in the HACL championship series, ahead of Great Lakes and Lake County.
Peoria and Cedar Rapids will square off again on Wednesday at 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 14, 2021
- QC Walks It off on South Bend, Again - South Bend Cubs
- Peoria Chiefs Announce 2022 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- 31 HRs for Pages, Loons Fall Short to Wisconsin - Great Lakes Loons
- Wiemer's Late Homer Puts Wisconsin Ahead to Stay at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Walker, Lunn Power Chiefs to Victory in Opener - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Offense Shut Down in Series Opener in Peoria - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hassell Triples, Ornelas Keeps Hitting, But 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 'Caps and 'Nuts Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Siani, Cerda Belt Home Runs as Dragons Notch Runaway Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Long Ball Downs Snappers 8-2 - Beloit Snappers
- Coulter's Career Start Brings Series Opening Win to Lake County - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts and Whitecaps Rained Out, to Play Two Wednesday - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Transaction & Game Information: September 14 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Toyota Road Report: 9/12-9/19 - South Bend Cubs
- Dayton Dragons Announce 2022 Schedule - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Anthem Game Changers Honoree for Dragons September 15 Game - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2022 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels Advance to the High-A Central Championship Series
- Kernels Remain Tied for #2 Seed
- Steven Cruz placed on 7-day IL & Ryan Shreve reinstated from 7-day IL
- Varland ties career-high 11 strikeouts, but Kernels fall
- Kernels Offense Shut Down in Series Opener in Peoria