TinCaps Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Michigan (Game 104)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (20-15, 52-51) vs. West Michigan (19-15, 52-51)
RHP Dinelson Lamet (3-5, 3.51) vs. RHP Jeff Thompson (4-9, 4.50)
Saturday, Aug. 1, 2015 - Parkview Field - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 104
LISTEN: ESPN Radio 1380 (WKJG) / TinCaps.com / TuneIn Radio App
WATCH: Comcast Network 81
ABOUT LAST NIGHT: The TinCaps erased a 1-0 lead in the ninth to walk off against the Whitecaps, 2-1. Luis Tejada tied the game with an RBI single. Later, with the bases loaded and one out, Edwin Moreno bunted back to the mound. West Michigan reliever Dominic Moreno mishandled the ball, allowing Franchy Cordero, who also had reached on an error, to score the game-winning run. Not to be forgotten, Thomas Dorminy allowed only four baserunners over a career-high tying seven innings and Kyle McGrath pitched two scoreless innings of relief to earn the victory on his 23rd birthday.
FIRST PLACE: With Friday night's win, the TinCaps now lead the Whitecaps by a half-game for first place with 35 games remaining.
WALK IT OFF: While Friday was the second time the Whitecaps lost 2-1 in walk-off fashion over their last nine games, it was the TinCaps' sixth walk-off win of the year. Half of Fort Wayne's walkoffs have come on bunts. For more on the team's tight finishes, see Page 9.
STANDING ROOM ONLY: Friday night's crowd of 8,194 was Parkview Field's 15th sellout of the season. Another standing room only crowd is expected tonight.
MONTH IN REVIEW: The TinCaps went 17-12 in July - their most wins in a month this season. Here's a review of their performance and where it ranks in both their 8-team division and the 16-team league...
- Offense: .275 AVG (1st / 2nd)
- Pitching: 2.67 ERA (1st / 3rd)
CLINIC: This morning, TinCaps players gave a free baseball clinic for members of the Apple Corps Kids Club.
THE OTHER GUYS: West Michigan's roster features seven Top 30 Tigers prospects, per MLB.com... No. 3 - OF Derek Hill (DL)...
No. 7 RHS Spencer Turnbull... No. 12 OF Christin Stewart...
No. 16 RHR Joe Jimenez... No. 20 RHS Artie Lewicki...
No. 21 OF Mike Gerber... No. 25 3B Zach Shepherd.
MWL EASTERN DIVISION SECOND HALF PLAYOFF PICTURE:
Place Team W-L GB GB Wild Card
1. FORT WAYNE 20-15 - -
2. West Michigan 19-15 0.5 -
3. Bowling Green 19-16 1.0 0.5
T4. Dayton 17-18 3.0 1.5
T4. Lansing* 17-18 3.0 1.5
6. Lake County 16-18 3.5 2.0
7. South Bend 16-19 4.0 3.5
8. Great Lakes** 15-20 5.0 4.5
* First Half Division Winner ** First Half Wild Card Winner
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 1, 2015
- Beloit Falls to Peoria, 7-5 - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton's Turn to August Starts with a Loss to the Bees - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Rally Late for 5-4 Win over LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Three Bandits Combine to Shut out Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Walk off Again, Stay in First - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gibbons Shuts out Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Mercado Homers Chiefs to Win in Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Gibbons Guides Kernels to 7-0 Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Lose After Controversial Call in 9th - Dayton Dragons
- Bradley's Blasts Boost Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Buries Whitecaps in Ninth - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Robson Returns as Lugnuts Dodge Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bowling Green Squanders Chances in 3-1 Loss to Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Blast Their Way Past Loons - Lake County Captains
- Stinnett Stars in South Bend's 5-4 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Quad Cities shuts out Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Michigan (Game 104) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts All-Star Dawson Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugs, Hot Rods to Trade Broadcasters Sunday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods, Lugnuts Agree to Trade Broadcasters on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Record Modern Woodmen Park Crowd Boosts Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps, Midwest League Participate in 117th Annual Baseball Winter Meetings in Las Vegas
- 2019 TinCaps Opening Day Tickets on Sale for Holidays
- TinCaps Extending Team Store Hours for Holiday Season,
- TinCaps a Finalist for Major Minor League Baseball Award
- 50 Former Fort Wayne Players in Major Leagues in 2018