TinCaps Walk off Again, Stay in First
FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- The TinCaps worked their ninth-inning magic again on Saturday night, walking off against the West Michigan Whitecaps for a second straight night, 4-3. Again, it was Edwin Moreno at the plate with the winning run at third base for a second straight night.
On Friday his safety squeeze scored the winning run and on Saturday, the outfielder laced a base hit to right field off of Gabe Speier (L, 3-2) to plate Rey Bruguera for Fort Wayne's seventh walk-off win of the season. Moreno has accounted for three of those in 2015.
A crowd of 8,083 fans made it out to Parkview Field, the 16th sellout of the season. The ballpark has now hosted three consecutive crowds of more than 8,000 fans -- a Parkview Field first.
The TinCaps are 5-0 on the homestand, and have a 1.5 game lead over the Whitecaps for first place in the Eastern Division.
Kade Scivique got the scoring started in the first inning with a two-run home run. West Michigan padded its lead to 3-0 after Mike Gerber went deep in the third frame.
The home team began its comeback in the fourth. With two outs and Whitecaps starter Jeff Thompson cruising on the mound, Luis Tejada hit a hard grounder to second base that Garrett Mattlage misplayed. After the error, Trae Santos walked and Jose Ruiz brought the pair in on a double to center field. The score was 3-2 West Michigan (19-16, 52-52).
Fort Wayne (21-15, 53-51) then tied it up in the seventh after Moreno doubled and scored on a Luis Urias single. Urias had fouled off half a dozen pitches from Johan Belisario to remain alive during the at-bat.
For the first time in his short career, starter Dinelson Lamet completed six full innings. Taylor Cox then tossed two scoreless innings in furious fashion, striking out three. Colby Blueberg (W, 3-1) sent West Michigan down easily in the ninth to set the table for Moreno's heroics.
The TinCaps try for their second sweep in a row on Sunday at 1:05 p.m. Fort Wayne sends left-hander Michael Kelly (5-3, 4.60) to the hill to face Whitecaps righty Trey Teakell (3-0, 0.90).
You can watch the action on Comcast Network 81 starting at 7:00 p.m. or listen in on ESPN Radio 1380, TinCaps.com, and the TuneIn Radio app starting at 6:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 1, 2015
- Beloit Falls to Peoria, 7-5 - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton's Turn to August Starts with a Loss to the Bees - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Rally Late for 5-4 Win over LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Three Bandits Combine to Shut out Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Walk off Again, Stay in First - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gibbons Shuts out Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Mercado Homers Chiefs to Win in Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Gibbons Guides Kernels to 7-0 Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Lose After Controversial Call in 9th - Dayton Dragons
- Bradley's Blasts Boost Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Buries Whitecaps in Ninth - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Robson Returns as Lugnuts Dodge Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bowling Green Squanders Chances in 3-1 Loss to Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Blast Their Way Past Loons - Lake County Captains
- Stinnett Stars in South Bend's 5-4 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Quad Cities shuts out Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Michigan (Game 104) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts All-Star Dawson Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugs, Hot Rods to Trade Broadcasters Sunday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods, Lugnuts Agree to Trade Broadcasters on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Record Modern Woodmen Park Crowd Boosts Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Renfroe Representing TinCaps in 2020 World Series
- TinCaps Virtual Beer Tasting on Tap
- Weathers 1 of 23 Fort Wayne Alums in MLB Postseason
- TinCaps to Host a Second Movie Night (The Sandlot) Presented by Lancia Homes
- 260 to the Show Report: 46 Former Fort Wayne Players in Big Leagues in 2020