Fort Wayne Buries Whitecaps in Ninth
FORT WAYNE, IN - For the second straight night, Edwin Moreno played the hero as the Fort Wayne TinCaps walked off with a 4-3 victory over the West Michigan Whitecaps Saturday night at Parkview Field.
Kade Scivicque and Mike Gerber launched early home runs to give the 'Caps a 3-0 lead after three innings. In the fourth, home-plate umpire Jordan Johnson ejected Joey Pankake for arguing a called third strike. In the bottom of the inning, an error by Garrett Mattlage, who replaced Pankake at second, opened the door to a two-out rally and Jose Ruiz' two-run double to bring the score to 3-2. Luis Urias tied the game in the seventh when he singled into center to score Moreno who doubled earlier in the frame. In the ninth, Moreno sent a first-pitch bloop-single into right field to score pinch-runner Ray Bruguera and give the TinCaps their second walkoff victory in as many nights.
Colby Blueberg (3-0) earned his third win for tossing an inning of scoreless relief, while Gabe Speier (3-2) took his second loss of 2015 for giving up the single to Moreno. The Whitecaps record falls to 19-16 in the season's second half, bringing their overall record to 52-52. Fort Wayne improves to 21-15 this half, with a combined record of 53-51. Gerber and Christin Stewart led the Whitecaps with two hits apiece.
The Whitecaps conclude this three-game series against the Fort Wayne TinCaps Sunday afternoon. Right-hander Trey Teakell gets the start for West Michigan, against Michael Kelly for the TinCaps. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05pm ET, and radio coverage with Dan Hasty begins at 12:55pm. A reminder that season, group and individual tickets can be reserved for any 2015 home game by calling the Whitecaps' front office at 616-784-4131 or visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 1, 2015
- Beloit Falls to Peoria, 7-5 - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton's Turn to August Starts with a Loss to the Bees - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Rally Late for 5-4 Win over LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Three Bandits Combine to Shut out Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Walk off Again, Stay in First - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gibbons Shuts out Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Mercado Homers Chiefs to Win in Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Gibbons Guides Kernels to 7-0 Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Lose After Controversial Call in 9th - Dayton Dragons
- Bradley's Blasts Boost Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Buries Whitecaps in Ninth - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Robson Returns as Lugnuts Dodge Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bowling Green Squanders Chances in 3-1 Loss to Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Blast Their Way Past Loons - Lake County Captains
- Stinnett Stars in South Bend's 5-4 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Quad Cities shuts out Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Michigan (Game 104) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts All-Star Dawson Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugs, Hot Rods to Trade Broadcasters Sunday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods, Lugnuts Agree to Trade Broadcasters on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Record Modern Woodmen Park Crowd Boosts Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Michigan Whitecaps Stories
- 3,000 Books Being Donated by the Whitecaps Community Foundation to Area Schools
- Time to Vote: Whitecaps Unveil Top 10 Food Items for Fan Voting
- Whitecaps Tickets on Sale Tuesday
- Whitecaps, Cumulus to Continue Radio Partnership
- Whitecaps Asking Fans to Submit Food Ideas; Winning Idea Will Receive a Suite