Captains Blast Their Way Past Loons
(Eastlake, OH) -The Lake County Captains earned their fifth straight series win with a 9-6 win over the Great Lakes Loons on Saturday night. The Captains fell behind twice in the first three inning but Bobby Bradley would blast two homeruns and drove in five as the Captains pounded out their fourth win in a row.
The Loons struck first in the top of the first inning. Matt Beaty was hit by a pitch to start the game. With one out and the bases loaded, Justin Chigbogu drove in Beaty with an RBI ground out for a 1-0 lead.
In the bottom of the first the Captains would bounce back. Greg Allen singled to start the inning. He was then sacrifice bunted over to second by Yonathan Mendoza. Allen would steal third as Anthony Santander drew a walk to put runners at first and third. Then on a 0-2 pitch, Bradley connected on a three run homerun to straight away centerfield that measured in at 405 feet. Bradley's seventeenth homerun of the season put the Captains up 3-1.
Great Lakes would chip away at the Captains lead with a run in the top of the second inning. Julian Leon walked to start the inning and would come around to score on Willie Calhoun's two out RBI single.
The Loons took the lead back in the top of the third inning. Kyle Garlick started the inning by reaching on a fielding error by Taylor Murphy. Justin Chigbogu followed with a two run homerun to rightfield to put the Loons up 4-3.
Lake County would get all the runs they needed in the bottom of the third inning. Mendoza started the inning with a single. Santander would then reach on a fielding error by the Loons' Willie Calhoun. A wild pitch would move both runners to second and third. Mendoza would tie the game up when he scored on Bradley's RBI sacrifice fly. A fielding error by the Loon's Justin Chigbogu would allow the Captains to take the lead when Santander scored from third. After Francisco Mejia singled, Yu-Cheng Chang connected on towering three run homerun to leftfield to cap the scoring in the inning and give the Captains an 8-4 lead. Chang also extended his team high on base streak to fifteen straight games on the homerun.
The Captains added an insurance run in the bottom of the seventh inning. With one out, Bradley blasted his second homerun of the game. A majestic towering blast to centerfield. The homerun gives Bradley a Midwest League leading eighteen homeruns.
The Loons would try to rally in with two runs in the ninth but Julian Merryweather slammed the door shut back to back strike outs to end the game.
Anderson Polanco (7-6) earned the win with 5.0 innings pitched. He allowed 4 runs, 3 earned, on 5 hits. Polanco walked 2 and struck out 4. Merryweather would then finish the game with 4.0 innings of relief. He allowed 2 runs, both earned, on 4 hits. He walked 1 and struck out a season high 8.
With the win the Captains have now won four straight games and five straight series. They will go for the series sweep on Sunday with Thomas Pannone on the mound. On Sunday, Princesses Night will take center stage. There will be several Princess characters to meet fans on the concourse and kids are encouraged to wear their favorite Princess costumes. Game time is 6:30 PM and the gates will open at 5 PM. Sunday is also the second of three special Sunday Night fireworks shows, presented by Discount Drug Mart. The Princess Movie-themed fireworks will conclude Family Fun Sunday, which includes a pre-game player autograph session, concourse entertainment and activities, the Kids' Zone area and the opportunity for kids to run the bases after the game, presented by Moe's Southwest Grill in Mentor.
Individual game tickets are on sale now at the Classic Park Box Office, Online at CaptainsBaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Mini ticket plans for the 2015 season are on sale now at great prices complete with several exclusive benefits.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 1, 2015
- Beloit Falls to Peoria, 7-5 - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton's Turn to August Starts with a Loss to the Bees - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Rally Late for 5-4 Win over LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Three Bandits Combine to Shut out Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Walk off Again, Stay in First - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gibbons Shuts out Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Mercado Homers Chiefs to Win in Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Gibbons Guides Kernels to 7-0 Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Lose After Controversial Call in 9th - Dayton Dragons
- Bradley's Blasts Boost Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Buries Whitecaps in Ninth - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Robson Returns as Lugnuts Dodge Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bowling Green Squanders Chances in 3-1 Loss to Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Blast Their Way Past Loons - Lake County Captains
- Stinnett Stars in South Bend's 5-4 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Quad Cities shuts out Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Michigan (Game 104) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts All-Star Dawson Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugs, Hot Rods to Trade Broadcasters Sunday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods, Lugnuts Agree to Trade Broadcasters on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Record Modern Woodmen Park Crowd Boosts Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.