Clinton's Turn to August Starts with a Loss to the Bees
Clinton, IA - For the Clinton LumberKings (8-28, 34-71), August began much like June and July did, on the wrong end of that evening's matchup. Saturday night in Clinton's August opener, the Burlington Bees (13-23, 48-57) leveled the series with a come from behind 5-4 win at Ashford University Field.
Burlington lost a 2-0 lead after half an inning Friday night, and despite a run in the top of the first inning Saturday vs. Eddie Campbell (ND), saw that lead go away as well. David Fletcher began the game with a line drive into right-center field, as Austin Cousino's dive came up short, and the ball rolled all the way to the wall for a triple. Fletcher scored one batter later, as Tim Arakawa's RBI groundout made it 1-0 Burlington.
The Bees' lead lasted until the bottom of the second inning, as a wild pitch from Burlington starter Jake Jewell (ND) brought James Alfonso in from third base. Jewell pitched five innings and allowed four runs, but just one earned run.
All three unearned runs vs. Jewell came in the third inning. After he committed an error in the top of the frame, Gianfranco Wawoe reached on an error by Arakawa. Jewell retired the next two hitters, while Wawoe stole second base. Wawoe scored on Brock Hebert's RBI single. With Burt Reynolds at the plate, Jewell hit Reynolds in the helmet with a breaking ball, as Reynolds left the game. Arby Fields came in for Reynolds and stole second base. Both he and Hebert scored on Alfonso's second hit of the night, as Clinton led 4-1 after three innings.
Burlington plated one in the fourth and one in the seventh vs. Campbell and trimmed the Clinton lead to one. The Clinton lefty came back out to begin the eighth inning and gave up a leadoff single to Arakawa. Scott Steinmann called on Kody Kerski (BS, L, 3-3) for a potential six-out save, but the righty did not hold the lead in the eighth. Steven Mateo greeted him with a single, before Kerski retired the next two hitters. Zachary Houchins tied the game with a two-out RBI single, while Kerski hit Trever Allen, which loaded the bases. Natanael Delgado brought the eventual winning run home on an infield single, and Burlington led 5-4 after 7.5 innings.
Eduardo Paredes (SV, 19) recorded the final six outs of the game for the Bees, though Clinton threatened in the ninth. Kristian Brito led off the inning with a double, while Wawoe reached on a bunt single. With men on first and second, Cousino's sacrifice bunt attempt failed, as Paredes threw out Brito at third base. The Burlington closer then struck out Chris Mariscal and Hebert, as he finished off the 5-4 final.
The series finale is set for Sunday afternoon at 2:00 CT, the final time the teams will play in Clinton in 2015. Lukas Schiraldi (4-8, 4.64) is set to start for Clinton, while Michael Bolaski (7-7, 3.79) will get the ball in the rubber match for the Bees. The LumberKings broadcast can be heard on WCCI 100.3 FM, WCCIRadio.com, and LumberKings.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 1, 2015
- Beloit Falls to Peoria, 7-5 - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton's Turn to August Starts with a Loss to the Bees - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Rally Late for 5-4 Win over LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Three Bandits Combine to Shut out Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Walk off Again, Stay in First - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gibbons Shuts out Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Mercado Homers Chiefs to Win in Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Gibbons Guides Kernels to 7-0 Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Lose After Controversial Call in 9th - Dayton Dragons
- Bradley's Blasts Boost Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Buries Whitecaps in Ninth - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Robson Returns as Lugnuts Dodge Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bowling Green Squanders Chances in 3-1 Loss to Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Blast Their Way Past Loons - Lake County Captains
- Stinnett Stars in South Bend's 5-4 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Quad Cities shuts out Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Michigan (Game 104) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts All-Star Dawson Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugs, Hot Rods to Trade Broadcasters Sunday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods, Lugnuts Agree to Trade Broadcasters on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Record Modern Woodmen Park Crowd Boosts Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.