Quad Cities shuts out Rattlers
DAVENPORT, IA - Three Quad Cities River Bandits pitchers combined on a three-hit shutout in a 5-0 victory over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Saturday night at Modern Woodmen Park. The loss was the third straight for the Rattlers.
The River Bandits (68-36 overall, 23-13 second half) used a two-out rally in the bottom of the first to take the early lead. Nick Tanielu doubled on a 3-2 pitch with two outs and none on base. Ryan Bottger followed with an RBI single to left. Rattlers starting pitcher David Carver issued a walk to Ramon Laureano to keep the inning alive. Jose Fernandez was next and he singled to right to drive in Bottger for a 2-0 lead. Carver walked the next batter to load the bases, but escaped the inning without more damage.
Quad Cities added to their lead in the bottom of the third. Bryan Muniz hit a sinking line drive to left with Jose Fernandez at first and two outs. Mitch Meyer charged, but couldn't make the play as the liner dropped in for a hit and the ball skipped by Meyer all the way to the wall. Fernandez scored easily as Muniz raced around to third base.
Wisconsin (36-69, 13-22) couldn't get to the Quad Cities starting pitcher for the second night in a row. On Friday night, Elieser Hernandez tossed 6-2/3 scoreless innings. Joshua James pitched 5-2/3 innings on Saturday without allowing a run, but needed some help to escape the sixth inning unscathed.
Carlos Leal reached base with a one-out single. Alan Sharkey drew a two-out walk on four straight pitches and that spelled the end of the night for James. Michael Freeman came out of the River Bandits bullpen. His first pitch went for a passed ball to move runners to second and third. However, Freeman stranded the runners in scoring position when got the final out of the inning with a strikeout. Freeman retired all seven batters he faced in the game, including four strikeouts.
The River Bandits added two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning against reliever Tyler Linehan. Muniz singled to knock in Fernandez from second base. Jason Martin accounted for the final run of the game with a single to drive in Muniz.
Riley Ferrell pitched a scoreless, hitless ninth inning to finish the game. Quad Cities has outscored the Rattlers 12-1 in the first two games of the series.
Leal had two of Wisconsin's three hits in the game and Sharkey drew two of the four walks coaxed by the Timber Rattlers offense. Wisconsin got one runner to third base in the game and had just two at bats with a runner in scoring position.
The Timber Rattlers are 1-10 in eleven games against the River Bandits this season. That includes an 0-5 record at Modern Woodmen Park in 2015.
The final game of the series is Sunday evening. David Burkhalter (3-6, 4.71) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Brock Dykxhoorn (5-3, 3.74) is set to go for the River Bandits. Game time is 5:15pm.
Follow the action on the AM1280, WNAM radio broadcast starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 4:55pm. The broadcast may also be heard on Tune In Radio and IHeartRadio. Subscribers to MiLB.TV may watch the game on that platform with the Quad Cities announcers.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 1, 2015
- Beloit Falls to Peoria, 7-5 - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton's Turn to August Starts with a Loss to the Bees - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Rally Late for 5-4 Win over LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Three Bandits Combine to Shut out Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Walk off Again, Stay in First - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gibbons Shuts out Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Mercado Homers Chiefs to Win in Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Gibbons Guides Kernels to 7-0 Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Lose After Controversial Call in 9th - Dayton Dragons
- Bradley's Blasts Boost Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Buries Whitecaps in Ninth - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Robson Returns as Lugnuts Dodge Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bowling Green Squanders Chances in 3-1 Loss to Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Blast Their Way Past Loons - Lake County Captains
- Stinnett Stars in South Bend's 5-4 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Quad Cities shuts out Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Michigan (Game 104) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts All-Star Dawson Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugs, Hot Rods to Trade Broadcasters Sunday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods, Lugnuts Agree to Trade Broadcasters on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Record Modern Woodmen Park Crowd Boosts Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.