Lugs, Hot Rods to Trade Broadcasters Sunday
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - With the Minor League Baseball broadcaster trading deadline rapidly approaching, the Toronto Blue Jays-affiliated Lansing Lugnuts and Tampa Bay Rays-affiliated Bowling Green Hot Rods have agreed to a deal in principle that would swap radio broadcasters Jesse Goldberg-Strassler and Danny Reed for the sixth inning of Sunday's series finale.
"We were inspired by the Blue Jays' deadline deals for Troy Tulowitzki, David Price, Mark Lowe, LaTroy Hawkins and Ben Revere," said Lugnuts general manager Nick Grueser. "As the first half Eastern Division champions, we're looking toward a strong postseason run. Danny fits right in with what we're trying to accomplish."
The two broadcasters will call the first five innings for their respective clubs before changing broadcast booths and equipment for the pivotal sixth.
"I've heard terrific things about the Lansing fanbase," said Reed, who joined the Hot Rods at the start of 2015 following a dominant run with the Charleston RiverDogs. "Really, though, it's about the team first. I'm just here to help out the ball club for one inning."
Goldberg-Strassler, the voice of the Lugnuts since 2009, said he did not anticipate any traveling troubles from the Bowling Green Ballpark visiting broadcast booth to the home broadcast booth.
"It has been a thrill to work for such a tremendous organization like the Lansing Lugnuts," said Goldberg-Strassler. "I look forward to returning to the black and red, whenever that sixth inning on Sunday comes to an end."
The Lugs' next home game at Cooley Law School Stadium is a Dollar Deal Day, Tuesday, August 4th, opening a six-game homestand against Wisconsin and Beloit that includes Michigan Baseball Hall of Fame Night on Thursday, August 6th. For more information, call (517) 485-4500 or visit lansinglugnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 1, 2015
- Beloit Falls to Peoria, 7-5 - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton's Turn to August Starts with a Loss to the Bees - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Rally Late for 5-4 Win over LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Three Bandits Combine to Shut out Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Walk off Again, Stay in First - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gibbons Shuts out Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Mercado Homers Chiefs to Win in Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Gibbons Guides Kernels to 7-0 Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Lose After Controversial Call in 9th - Dayton Dragons
- Bradley's Blasts Boost Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Buries Whitecaps in Ninth - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Robson Returns as Lugnuts Dodge Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bowling Green Squanders Chances in 3-1 Loss to Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Blast Their Way Past Loons - Lake County Captains
- Stinnett Stars in South Bend's 5-4 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Quad Cities shuts out Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Michigan (Game 104) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts All-Star Dawson Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugs, Hot Rods to Trade Broadcasters Sunday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods, Lugnuts Agree to Trade Broadcasters on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Record Modern Woodmen Park Crowd Boosts Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.