TinCaps Conclude 2021 Regular Season in Dayton
DAYTON, Ohio - Despite catcher Brandon Valenzuela belting his first High-A home run, the Fort Wayne TinCaps dropped the regular-season finale to the Dayton Dragons (Cincinnati Reds affiliate), 5-3, at Day Air Ballpark on Sunday afternoon.
The loss made it six in a row to end the 2021 season. It was the first time that the TinCaps (54-66) were swept since Minor League Baseball implemented six-game series ahead of this season.
The Dragons (65-55) broke into the scoring column in the bottom of the first with a two-run, inside-the-park home run from No. 3 Reds prospect Matt McLain. After that, TinCaps starter Connor Lehmann worked four straight scoreless frames en route to a season-long six inning start.
Valenzuela led off the top of the second with his solo blast, and left fielder Reinaldo Ilarraza tied the game with an RBI single to left later in the frame.
Scoring halted until the bottom of the sixth, when Dayton third baseman Juan Martinez drilled a three-run home run to extend the Dragons lead to three.
Ilarraza got one back on a run-producing double in the seventh to plate third baseman Zack Mathis, but the score held at 5-3 after that.
Parkview Field welcomed nearly 220,000 people in to watch TinCaps home games in 2021. The TinCaps family appreciates every bit of support in a season unlike any other in the franchise's history, and we look forward to seeing everyone back at the ballpark in 2022.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Snappers Spoil Captains Playoff Bid With 5-3 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Season Ends with Sunday Loss at Dow Diamond - Great Lakes Loons
- Quad Cities Drops Regular Season Finale in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall in Season Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Rivera Hits 21st in Record-Setting Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- South Bend Ends Season with an Extra-Innings Victory - South Bend Cubs
- Lugnuts Fall to Whitecaps, Concluding 2021 Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Conclude 2021 Regular Season in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Come up Short in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wisconsin Closes Out 2021 with 2-0 Win at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Advance to the High-A Central Championship Series - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Information: September 19 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Wild 9th Ends in River Bandits Walk-Off Win - South Bend Cubs
- Out of the Race: Loons Fall in Ten Innings, 8-6 - Great Lakes Loons
- Bates' Walk-Off Clinches Bandits' Final Regular Season Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- McClanahan's Tenth-Inning Blast Paces Wisconsin Past the Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.