Bates' Walk-Off Clinches Bandits' Final Regular Season Series
Davenport, Iowa - In their final night game of the regular season, the Quad Cities River Bandits secured their 13th series win on Saturday as Parker Bates' first career walk-off single scored the game-ending run in their 4-3 victory over the South Bend Cubs at Modern Woodmen Park.
Quad Cities scratched across the game's opening run in the bottom of the first against Bailey Horn when John Rave came to the plate and was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. However, Horn limited the damage and struck out Eaton to keep it a 1-0 game.
The lone run was enough for Bandits' starter Mitch Ellis, who in his first career start, struck out four in four scoreless innings and faced the minimum until Yonathan Perlaza pushed a broken bat single up the middle with two outs in the top of the fourth.
Horn settled down after the first inning and matched Ellis zero for zero for the remainder of his four-inning start before handing the ball off to Zach Leigh.
After Zach Phillips used an inning-ending double play to post a zero in the fifth, South Bend got its first runs on Perlaza's second hit of the game, a two-run shot for his second homer of the series and a 2-1 Cubs' lead.
In the bottom of the seventh, the Bandits' offense came back to life and backed up Phillips' latest one-two-three frame with a two-run blast of their own from Logan Porter, who plated Nathan Eaton to put Quad Cities back in front, 3-2.
Phillips and Hunter Bigge concluded their nights with a perfect eighth, including Bigge striking out the side, before Will Klein took the hill to close it out in the top of the ninth. After Perlaza led off the inning with a walk, the righty struck out Bryce Ball, but then allowed a 10-pitch single to Tyler Durna, which moved pinch runner Edmond Americaan to third as the tying run. Klein then struck out Jake Slaughter and got Bryce Windham to pop up, but Jake Means dropped the ball and allowed the tying run to score. Klein punched out Pablo Aliendo to strand the go-ahead run on third.
In the bottom of the ninth, newly entered Eduarneil Nunez got Means to ground out and for Will Hancock strikes for the first two outs, but Tyler Tolbert drew a seven-pitch walk to extend the game and put the tying run on. In the midst of Parker Bates' plate appearance, Tolbert stole second and then came around to score the winning run when Bates took a two-strike pitch into center field for the game-winning knock.
Despite blowing the save by giving up an unearned run, Klein (7-1) got the win for Quad Cities, while Nunez (1-3) got the loss allowing a walk-off hit for the second time in the series.
Quad Cities will conclude its regular season on Sunday behind Dante Biasi (5-2, 3.90), who will oppose South Bend's Jordan Wicks (0-0, 6.75) in a 1:00 p.m. CDT first pitch at Modern Woodmen Park.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Snappers Spoil Captains Playoff Bid With 5-3 Win - Beloit Sky Carp
- Season Ends with Sunday Loss at Dow Diamond - Great Lakes Loons
- Quad Cities Drops Regular Season Finale in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall in Season Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Rivera Hits 21st in Record-Setting Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- South Bend Ends Season with an Extra-Innings Victory - South Bend Cubs
- Lugnuts Fall to Whitecaps, Concluding 2021 Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Conclude 2021 Regular Season in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Come up Short in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wisconsin Closes Out 2021 with 2-0 Win at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Advance to the High-A Central Championship Series - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Information: September 19 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Wild 9th Ends in River Bandits Walk-Off Win - South Bend Cubs
- Out of the Race: Loons Fall in Ten Innings, 8-6 - Great Lakes Loons
- Bates' Walk-Off Clinches Bandits' Final Regular Season Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- McClanahan's Tenth-Inning Blast Paces Wisconsin Past the Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Massey Selected as 2021 Rawlings Gold Glove Award(R) Winner
- Main Street Baseball Clubs Recognized for Game-Day Experience
- River Bandits Lead League with Four All-Stars
- Bandits Shut out Kernels to Claim First Ever High-A Central Championship
- Porter's Walk-Off Blast Sends High-A Central Championship to Game Five