Snappers Spoil Captains Playoff Bid With 5-3 Win
EASTLAKE, OH - The Beloit Snappers (55-65) closed out the 120-game season with a 5-3 win over the Lake County Captains (65-55) to end the Captains bid for a playoff berth. It was also the final game the Snappers would play under the franchise name.
The Snappers pieced together four straight two-out hits, plating two runs in the top of the first inning. Snappers' starter George Soriano dealt in the early going of his start, finishing with 5 2/3 innings and three earned runs.
Beloit added to their lead in the top of the sixth with three runs on four straight hits again. Up 5-0, the Snappers gave up three runs in the sixth inning to Lake County, closing the gap to two runs.
The Captains made one final push in the bottom of the ninth inning. Lake County loaded the bases with no outs against Snappers' closer Tyler Mitzel who struck out José Tena and forced Jhonkensy Noel to ground into a season ending 5-4-3 double play, securing a 5-3 win for the Snappers.
Beloit's Top Performers: Soriano earned the win for Beloit in the season finale. Connor Scott, Bennett Hostetler, and Troy Johnston each had two-hit efforts in the win. Catcher David Martinez ended the season with a season-high three hits, including a double.
Thank you, Beloit Snappers fans for a fantastic 2021. See you soon.
Beloit will start the 2022 on the road in Cedar Rapids on April 8th and will play their first home series starting on April 12th against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Snappers Spoil Captains Playoff Bid With 5-3 Win - Beloit Sky Carp
- Season Ends with Sunday Loss at Dow Diamond - Great Lakes Loons
- Quad Cities Drops Regular Season Finale in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall in Season Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Rivera Hits 21st in Record-Setting Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- South Bend Ends Season with an Extra-Innings Victory - South Bend Cubs
- Lugnuts Fall to Whitecaps, Concluding 2021 Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Conclude 2021 Regular Season in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Come up Short in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wisconsin Closes Out 2021 with 2-0 Win at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Advance to the High-A Central Championship Series - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Information: September 19 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Wild 9th Ends in River Bandits Walk-Off Win - South Bend Cubs
- Out of the Race: Loons Fall in Ten Innings, 8-6 - Great Lakes Loons
- Bates' Walk-Off Clinches Bandits' Final Regular Season Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- McClanahan's Tenth-Inning Blast Paces Wisconsin Past the Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Sky Carp Stories
- Letter From Quint: Excited To Be A Sky Carp City
- Flick-Or-Treat Movie Night at ABC Supply Stadium October 30
- ABC Supply Stadium to Host UW-Whitewater Baseball Exhibition Games - October 15 and 17
- Snappers Spoil Captains Playoff Bid With 5-3 Win
- Snappers' Bats Stifled In 4-0 Loss