Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday
Sunday, Sept. 19, 2021 l Game # 120
Day Air Ballpark l Dayton, Ohio l 2:05 p.m.
TV: Dayton's CW (26) l Radio: 980 WONE Fox Sports
Fort Wayne TinCaps (54-65) at Dayton Dragons (64-55)
RH Connor Lehmann (3-4, 8.64) vs. RH Christian Roa (2-2, 3.86)
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Fort Wayne TinCaps (affiliate of the San Diego Padres) in the last game of a six-game series and the final game of the season.
2021 Season Series: Dayton 15, Fort Wayne 8. (At Dayton: Dragons 9, TinCaps 2). Current Series: Dayton 5, Fort Wayne 0.
Last Game: Saturday: Dayton 8, Fort Wayne 5. Mariel Bautista hit a three-run home run and Allan Cerda added a two-run double as the Dragons matched a season high for consecutive victories with five. Vin Timpanelli entered the game in the ninth inning with the tying run at the plate and no outs and retired all three batters he faced for the save, getting two strikeouts. Fort Wayne stranded 14 base runners and went 3 for 17 with men in scoring position.
Current Series vs. Fort Wayne: The Dragons are 5-0 in the series and have outscored Fort Wayne 41-18 (scoring 8.2 runs per game) while batting .292 with a team ERA of 2.35. They have committed nine errors in the series.
High-A Central League Playoffs: Major League Baseball has announced that leagues at three classifications, including the High-A Central League, will conduct playoffs in September. The top two teams in each league, regardless of division, will meet in a best-of-five series.
Playoff Race: The Dragons were eliminated from playoff contention on Saturday when Cedar Rapids defeated Peoria, leaving the Dragons two games behind the Kernels with one game to play. The Dragons could still finish as East Division co-champions with a win on Sunday and a Lake County loss.
Jacob Hurtubise is hitting .436 (15 for 36) over his last 15 games. He is 5 for 6 (.833) in the current series.
Juan Martinez is batting .348 with three doubles over his last six games.
Allan Cerda is 8 for 16 (.500) in the current series with three doubles and a home run.
Stevie Branche since joining the Dragons: 12 G, 19 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 11 BB, 30 SO, 0.95 ERA, 2-0, 1 Sv.
Vin Timpanelli over his last 11 relief appearances: 13 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 26 SO, 3 Sv. Opponents are 2 for 43 with 26 Ks.
A win today would give the Dragons a new season high for most consecutive victories (6) and would mark their first sweep of a six-game series this season.
The Dragons lead the High-A Central League in team ERA in the month of September, at 2.98 (17 games). They also lead the league in lowest opponent batting average (.180) and strikeouts (188 in 145 innings).
Dragons pitchers will break the club record in 2021 for most strikeouts per game. They have averaged 10.3 strikeouts per game this season (1230 SO in 119 G). The club record is 9.2 per game in 2011 (1,292 SO in 140 G).
Dragons pitchers will also break the club record for most walks per game. They have averaged 4.8 walks per game (573 BB in 119 G). The club record is 4.3 per game in 2005 (600 walks in 139 games).
Dayton has held at least a share of first place after 62 of the 119 games they have played this season.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
End of Season
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Snappers Spoil Captains Playoff Bid With 5-3 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Season Ends with Sunday Loss at Dow Diamond - Great Lakes Loons
- Quad Cities Drops Regular Season Finale in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall in Season Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Rivera Hits 21st in Record-Setting Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- South Bend Ends Season with an Extra-Innings Victory - South Bend Cubs
- Lugnuts Fall to Whitecaps, Concluding 2021 Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Conclude 2021 Regular Season in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Come up Short in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wisconsin Closes Out 2021 with 2-0 Win at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Advance to the High-A Central Championship Series - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Information: September 19 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Wild 9th Ends in River Bandits Walk-Off Win - South Bend Cubs
- Out of the Race: Loons Fall in Ten Innings, 8-6 - Great Lakes Loons
- Bates' Walk-Off Clinches Bandits' Final Regular Season Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- McClanahan's Tenth-Inning Blast Paces Wisconsin Past the Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons James Marinan Named League Pitcher of the Month for September
- 2021 Dragon Named Pitching Prospect of the Year; Former Dragons Prepare for MLB Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons 2021 Season Review (Team, Events, & Organization)
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday