Lugnuts Fall to Whitecaps, Concluding 2021 Season
LANSING, Mich. - On an ideal 80-degree day in downtown Lansing, Lester Madden, Jr., went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer and the Lansing Lugnuts (58-62) concluded the 2021 season with a 19-4 loss to the West Michigan Whitecaps (58-62) on Sunday afternoon at Jackson® Field™.
The Whitecaps hit seven doubles, two triples and five home runs - from 2-3-4-5-6 hitters Gage Workman, Jake Holton, Rey Rivera, Eliezer Alfonzo and Parker Meadows - in setting a single-game franchise record for extra-base hits.
Lansing starter Osvaldo Berrios was done in by a six-run third inning, allowing eight total runs on six hits and three walks while striking out three in 2 1/3 innings.
The Whitecaps followed up with a five-run fourth inning against José Mora and Leudeny Pineda, turning the game into a laugher.
Charlie Cerny kept the 'Caps off the board with 2 2/3 scoreless innings, blanking the visitors in the sixth and seventh, before West Michigan awakened with a four-run eighth against Garrett Acton.
Eephus-tossing William Simoneit pitched the ninth and allowed a solo shot to Alfonzo that lifted the Whitecaps into a 19-2 lead and appeared to cap off the scoring for the year...
Until Lester Madden, Jr., in his final at-bat of 2021, sent a two-out rocket to left field off RJ Petit in the bottom of the ninth. It was the Lansing DH's third home run of the season.
Madden, Jared McDonald and Lawrence Butler each finished the game 2-for-4 in the losing cause.
The next Lugnuts game will be held in 202 days: Friday, April 8, 2022, against the Lake County Captains, opening the Nuts' 26th season at Jackson® Field™.
For the latest information about the Lansing Lugnuts throughout the offseason, visit lansinglugnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Snappers Spoil Captains Playoff Bid With 5-3 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Season Ends with Sunday Loss at Dow Diamond - Great Lakes Loons
- Quad Cities Drops Regular Season Finale in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall in Season Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Rivera Hits 21st in Record-Setting Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- South Bend Ends Season with an Extra-Innings Victory - South Bend Cubs
- Lugnuts Fall to Whitecaps, Concluding 2021 Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Conclude 2021 Regular Season in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Come up Short in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wisconsin Closes Out 2021 with 2-0 Win at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Advance to the High-A Central Championship Series - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Information: September 19 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Wild 9th Ends in River Bandits Walk-Off Win - South Bend Cubs
- Out of the Race: Loons Fall in Ten Innings, 8-6 - Great Lakes Loons
- Bates' Walk-Off Clinches Bandits' Final Regular Season Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- McClanahan's Tenth-Inning Blast Paces Wisconsin Past the Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lansing Lugnuts Stories
- Lugnuts, Minor League Baseball Join with Marvel Entertainment on "Defenders of the DiamondÃ¢ÂÂ
- Lugnuts' Díaz and Hall Named High-A Central All-Stars
- Nitro Circus Roars into Jackson Field Tomorrow
- Nitro Circus roars into Jackson Field Friday!
- Nuts' Lawrence Butler Named High-A Central Player of the Week