Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
Dayton, Ohio - Juan Martinez blasted a three-run home run and Matt McLain connected on a two-run inside-the-park homer as the Dayton Dragons defeated the Fort Wayne TinCaps 5-3 on Sunday afternoon. The game was the season finale for both clubs. A crowd of 7,638 was in attendance at Day Air Ballpark.
The Dragons finished the 2021 season with a record of 65-55. They finished tied for first place with Lake County in the High-A Central League's East Division but did not qualify for post-season. Their winning percentage of .542 was their highest since the 2011 season.
The Dragons swept the season-ending six-game series from Fort Wayne and won eight of their last nine games, but they fell one victory short of qualifying for the league playoffs.
The Dragons jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning when McLain circled the bases for an inside-the-park home run after Jacob Hurtubise started the inning with a single and stole second. Fort Wayne scored two in the second inning to tie the game.
In the sixth, McLain walked and Allan Cerda singled before Martinez connected on a home run to left field to give the Dragons a 5-2 lead. It was Martinez's seventh homer of the season. Fort Wayne scored one run in the seventh to account for the final tally.
Dayton finished with nine hits. Martinez and Quin Cotton each had two.
Dragons reliever Spencer Stockton (4-3) worked four scoreless innings to earn the victory. He allowed two hits and no walks with six strikeouts. Pedro Garcia tossed a scoreless ninth inning for his third save.
Up Next: The Dragons will open the 2022 season on April 8 against the Fort Wayne TinCaps at Day Air Ballpark. The full 2022 schedule is here: https://img.mlbstatic.com/milb-images/image/upload/milb/imthhsmurbqkqcdrfr65.pdf
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Snappers Spoil Captains Playoff Bid With 5-3 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Season Ends with Sunday Loss at Dow Diamond - Great Lakes Loons
- Quad Cities Drops Regular Season Finale in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall in Season Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Rivera Hits 21st in Record-Setting Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- South Bend Ends Season with an Extra-Innings Victory - South Bend Cubs
- Lugnuts Fall to Whitecaps, Concluding 2021 Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Conclude 2021 Regular Season in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Come up Short in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wisconsin Closes Out 2021 with 2-0 Win at Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Advance to the High-A Central Championship Series - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Information: September 19 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Wild 9th Ends in River Bandits Walk-Off Win - South Bend Cubs
- Out of the Race: Loons Fall in Ten Innings, 8-6 - Great Lakes Loons
- Bates' Walk-Off Clinches Bandits' Final Regular Season Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- McClanahan's Tenth-Inning Blast Paces Wisconsin Past the Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons James Marinan Named League Pitcher of the Month for September
- 2021 Dragon Named Pitching Prospect of the Year; Former Dragons Prepare for MLB Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons 2021 Season Review (Team, Events, & Organization)
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday