Timbers Weekly Update: September 24, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - With three matches remaining on their regular-season schedule, the Portland Timbers play host to the New England Revolution, in a match presented by TriMet, on Wednesday, Sept. 25, at Providence Park. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX). The Timbers will then travel to Sporting Kansas City for their final road match of the regular season on Sunday, Sept. 29. Beginning at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a regional television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS. Both the Sept. 25 and Sept. 29 matches include local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
With a draw against Minnesota on Sept. 22, Portland (13-13-5, 44pts) is tied for seventh place in the Western Conference standings with the San Jose Earthquakes. As a result of tiebreakers, San Jose currently sits in the final playoff position heading into Wednesday. The Timbers are one point behind FC Dallas in sixth place (45pts) with a game in hand, three points behind Real Salt Lake (5th, 47pts), trail the LA Galaxy by only four points (4th, 48pts) and remain within striking distance of Minnesota (3rd, 49pts) and Seattle (2nd, 50pts).
Against New England
Wednesday's match marks the 10th meeting all-time between the Timbers and the Revolution. Portland leads the all-time series with a record of 2-1-6, including a mark of 2-0-2 at Providence Park. The Timbers are unbeaten in their last six matches (1-0-5) against the Revolution. In the last meeting between the two sides, Portland earned a point on the road with a 1-1 draw on Sept. 1, 2018. The last time these two teams squared off at Providence Park on April 2, 2017, the match also finished in a 1-1 draw.
Against Sporting Kansas City
The Timbers and Sporting KC square off for the second time this season on Sunday at Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kan. Portland won the first meeting between the two sides in 2019, recording a 2-1, come-from-behind win on Sept. 7 at Providence Park. Jeremy Ebobisse scored the game-tying goal in the 83rd minute, while Brian Fernandez tallied the game-winner in the 94th minute. The Timbers are unbeaten in each of their last three matches against Sporting KC (2-0-1), across all competitions, including a 3-2 win on the road in second leg of the 2019 Western Conference Championship on Nov. 29, 2018.
Following its road match at Sporting Kansas City, Portland plays host to San Jose in its regular-season finale on Sunday, Oct. 6, at Providence Park. Beginning at 1 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a regional television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
Television: "Timbers in 30"
Throughout the season, "Timbers in 30," hosted by Jake Zivin and Ross Smith, will offer inside access to the club and provide analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers coaches and players. This week, "Timbers in 30" airs on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific) on FOX 12 Oregon with Timbers goalkeeper Jeff Attinella. Previously aired shows and "Timbers in 30" features can be found at www.timbers.com.
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," airs every Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on flagship station 750 The Game. "Talk Timbers" provides team and league news as well as interviews with Timbers coaches and players during the season, and also features regular updates on T2 and Portland Thorns FC. Fans can submit questions, provide comments or simply follow the conversation on the show on Twitter with the hashtag #TalkTimbers.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 750 The Game or listen online at www.750thegame.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 24, 2019
- Winners Announced for 2019 Whitecaps FC BMO Player Awards Ceremony - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC and Univision LA to Kick-Off Hispanic Heritage Month on Wednesday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Weekly Update: September 24, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- LAFC Looks to Clinch Supporters'shield on Wednesday Night against Houston Dynamo - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Play Second Leg of Canadian Championship Final Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- Know Your Opponent | FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Portland Timbers - New England Revolution
- Preview: Sporting Visits Minnesota for Must-Win Match on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Hosts LA Galaxy in First of Final Two Regular Season Home Matches of 2019 - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York City FC - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati Academy: Fall Home Game Update - FC Cincinnati
- 11 Impact Players to Celebrate Soccer in L'Assomption on Wednesday, October 2 - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Unveils New Downtown Stadium Renderings - Columbus Crew SC
- NYCFC Primed for Top-Three East Sides in Race for Conference Crown, Home-Field Advantage - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Midfielder Dairon Asprilla Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Meniscus Repair Procedure
- Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders FC Announce Special "SEAvPDX Week" to Recognize Rivalry with Unique Content and Activities
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Wins Week 3 of MLS Idle
- Thorns Academy Joins Elite Clubs National League Girls
- Portland Timbers to Return to Individual Workouts Thursday