Real Salt Lake Hosts LA Galaxy in First of Final Two Regular Season Home Matches of 2019
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake will welcome Western Conference rival LA Galaxy to Rio Tinto Stadium on Wednesday, September 25 at 7:30p MT. The midweek clash can be seen live on KMYU, the KSL TV app and heard on the radio on ESPN700.
Tickets to Wednesday's 10-Year MLS Cup Anniversary Celebration start at just $22 at RSL.com or by calling 844.REAL.TIX.
Wednesday's match will celebrate RSL's 2009 MLS Cup triumph over the LA Galaxy as members of the 2009 MLS Cup-winning team will be in attendance for the match and will be honored prior to kickoff. Additionally, legendary RSL midfielder Javier Morales will have his name enshrined atop the player's tunnel next to Jason Kreis' at Rio Tinto Stadium at halftime of Wednesday's match. On November 22, 2009, RSL toppled the Galaxy at Seattle's CenturyLink Field (formerly Qwest Field) 5-4 in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw through regulation and overtime. GK Nick Rimando's performance in the match earned the MLS Cup MVP honor after he saved two tries in the shootout while deterring another to help RSL to the title.
RSL enters the match against the Galaxy on the back of a scoreless draw at the New England Revolution last Saturday, a match that saw RSL earn its 11th shutout of the season. GK Andrew Putna made three saves in the match to preserve the shutout.
Wednesday's meeting will be the 40th all-time between the two sides with the Galaxy holding the all-time advantage over RSL with the Utah side trailing the Galaxy with a 14-16-9 record. The last time RSL hosted the Galaxy it came away with an emphatic 6-2 victory in the highest-attended match in stadium history as 21,363 fans were on hand to witness RSL's victory. The match also marked the first time in league history that a single club scored six goals in consecutive matches after RSL's 6-0 win at Colorado the week prior.
Since returning from the Gold Cup break on June 22, RSL has the best defense in MLS. In those 16 matches, RSL is 8-4-4 with eight shutouts and a league-best 0.69 goals against average.
How to Follow Real Salt Lake vs. LA Galaxy - Wednesday, September 25, 2019
- Coverage Begins: 7:00 p.m. MT
- Local TV: KMYU w/ David James (play-by-play), Brian Dunseth (color) & Samantha Yarock (sideline)
- Digital Streaming: KSL TV app
- English Radio: ESPN700 with Bill Riley (play-by-play) & Jay Nolly (color)
- Spanish Radio: N/A
RSL enters the match seeing 11 different players notch goals for the club. The team is led in scoring by MF Albert Rusnák with 10 goals, followed closely by Designated Player FW Sam Johnson with nine goals while Rusnák has added an additional five assists.
2018 RSL Golden Boot winner MF Damir Kreilach has remained a steady presence in the midfield for RSL in 2019, providing five goals and five assists in 27 starts this season. Playmaker FW Jefferson Savarino has seven goals and five assists to his name, enough to earn a call-up to the Venezuelan Men's National Team for the 2019 Copa America in Brazil this summer.
On the backline, DF Nedum Onuoha has been a mainstay at centerback in his first full season with the club, featuring in 24 of the club's 31 matches thus far. The former Manchester City and Queens Park Rangers defender has seen been paired alongside Homegrown DFs Justen Glad, Erik Holt and Marcelo Silva and on occasion, MF Nick Besler. On both sides of the backline, Homegrown DFs Aaron Herrera, Brooks Lennon and Donny Toia have battled for starting positions at right and left back. Herrera leads the team in matches played and minutes in 2019 having featured in 28 of RSL's 30 matches and leads the team in minutes played with 2,408.
In goal, legendary GK Nick Rimando has featured in 26 matches in 2019, earning nine shutouts. Prior to the commencement of the season, Rimando announced that 2019 - his 20th season in MLS would be his last and was recently selected by MLS Commissioner Don Garber for the 2019 MLS All-Star game in Orlando, Florida on July 31. On July 6, Rimando became the first player in MLS to start and play in 500 regular season matches as he continues to set the bench mark for players across the league. GK Andrew Putna has also seen action in goal this season, starting four of RSL's 18 matches while earning one shutout on the year in RSL's dominant 3-0 victory over 2019 expansion side FC Cincinnati on April 19.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 24, 2019
- Winners Announced for 2019 Whitecaps FC BMO Player Awards Ceremony - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC and Univision LA to Kick-Off Hispanic Heritage Month on Wednesday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Weekly Update: September 24, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- LAFC Looks to Clinch Supporters'shield on Wednesday Night against Houston Dynamo - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Play Second Leg of Canadian Championship Final Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- Know Your Opponent | FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Portland Timbers - New England Revolution
- Preview: Sporting Visits Minnesota for Must-Win Match on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Hosts LA Galaxy in First of Final Two Regular Season Home Matches of 2019 - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York City FC - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati Academy: Fall Home Game Update - FC Cincinnati
- 11 Impact Players to Celebrate Soccer in L'Assomption on Wednesday, October 2 - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Unveils New Downtown Stadium Renderings - Columbus Crew SC
- NYCFC Primed for Top-Three East Sides in Race for Conference Crown, Home-Field Advantage - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Issue Statement on Workforce Reduction
- Real Salt Lake Quartet Named to Olympic Qualifying Rosters
- Real Salt Lake Draws 1-1 with New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes New York Red Bulls in 2020 Home Opener
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2020 Season with Scoreless Draw against Orlando City SC