Timbers Weekly Update: May 14, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - Facing a quick turnaround, the Portland Timbers travel to take on the Houston Dynamo in a midweek match on Wednesday, May 15, at BBVA Compass Stadium. Beginning at 5:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match will feature a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Record road warriors
Playing their 11th consecutive road match to begin the season on Wednesday in Houston, Portland will set a record for the longest road trip in MLS history, surpassing the previous high of 10 consecutive away matches played by Sporting Kansas City in 2011. The Timbers' 12-game road trip to start the 2019 season is due to completion work on the $85 million transformation of Providence Park. During that stretch, the team will travel roughly 30,000 miles, including trips to Cincinnati, Dallas, Columbus, Toronto, Houston and Philadelphia.
Portland (3-6-1, 10pts) has won three of its last four matches, scoring two or more goals in each of its three wins. During that span, six different players have scored a goal for the Timbers. Individually, Jeremy Ebobisse has recorded two goals, while Sebastián Blanco and Diego Valeri have both recorded one goal and three assists each. Valeri currently ranks tied for first in MLS this season with six assists.
Dating back to the 2018 season, the Timbers have won each of their last three matches that have been played on a Wednesday. Portland's last Wednesday match was its 2-1 victory at FC Dallas in the Knockout Round of the Audi 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Wednesday's match marks the 15th regular-season meeting between Portland and Houston (5-0-1, 19pts), with the all-time series even at 5-5-4. The Timbers have posted a record of 4-2-2 in their last eight matches against the Dynamo. The two teams split a pair of matches during the 2018 season as Portland earned a 2-1 win at Providence Park on July 28, while Houston secured a 4-1 win at BBVA Compass Stadium on Sept. 15. Notably, Valeri has tallied six goals and five assists in his career against the Dynamo.
The Timbers conclude their stretch of 12 consecutive road games with a match against the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, May 25, at Talen Energy Stadium in Chester, Penn. Beginning at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific), the May 25 match will feature a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 14, 2019
- Real Salt Lake FW Julian Vazquez Called in to Mexico U-18 Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Chelsea FC in the "Final Whistle on Hate" Match - New England Revolution
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 14, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Orlando City SC - May 15, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: Seattle and Cincy - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas' Match vs LAFC Moved to 6:30PM CT this Sunday, May 19 - FC Dallas
- LAFC Announces Time Change for Away Match against FC Dallas - Los Angeles FC
- Know Your Opponent | Seattle Sounders - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Vancouver Whitecaps - Atlanta United FC
- Three Points: Dynamo Welcome Portland Wednesday, Look to Remain Unbeaten at Home - Houston Dynamo
- New England Revolution and Chelsea FC Announce Complete List of "Final Whistle on Hate" Match Beneficiaries - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Name Bruce Arena Sporting Director and Head Coach - New England Revolution
- Atlanta Silences Doubters with MLS Record-Tying Shutout Streak - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers to Host LA Galaxy in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on Wednesday, June 19
- Timbers Register 2-1 Win against Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 11, 2019
- Timbers Broadcast Team Wins 2019 Northwest Regional Emmy Award
- Marco Farfan, Eryk Williamson Called into U.S. U-23 National Team Camp