Real Salt Lake FW Julian Vazquez Called in to Mexico U-18 Camp
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake FW Julian Vasquez has been named to the Mexico U-18 National Team for its upcoming appearance in the Slovak Cup 2019 held in Slovakia.
Vazquez and the Mexico side will face Slovakia on May 20 before facing Russia on May 20 and England on May 23 with the final being hosted on Friday, May 24.
"We are extremely proud of Julian and each call-up has been a great opportunity for him to experience more soccer around the world," RSL General Manager Craig Waibel said. "He has been working tremendously hard at training in a professional environment on a daily basis and that has aided in his development as we've seen him continue to grow on and off the field."
Vazquez, 18, has started 14 of 18 matches for the RSL Academy U-19s this season, scoring five goals. For the RSL U-17s last season, Vazquez played in 29 matches, making 25 starts and scoring 13 goals. Through his club career in Utah, Vazquez featured for local powerhouse La Roca Futbol Club and played for Ridgeline High School in Millville, Utah.
"It is always a wonderful opportunity to represent Mexico, especially at the international level," Vazquez said. "Gaining international experience with the team builds our chemistry and is helping us prepare for our U20 World Cup cycle, and will also help me gain experience here at Real Salt Lake."
Vazquez became as RSL's 16th Homegrown signing last October, joining RSL's current list of 12 Homegrown members on the roster, along with FW Jordan Allen, MF Luis Arriaga, FW Corey Baird, DF Justen Glad, DF Aaron Herrera, DF Erik Holt, DF Brooks Lennon, GK David Ochoa, FW Sebastian Saucedo, FW Tate Schmitt and DF Donny Toia. Other former Homegrown signings include Nico Muniz, Lalo Fernandez, Benji Lopez, Phanuel Kavita, Fito Ovalle and Ricardo Velazco and Carlos Salcedo.
Real Salt Lake is back in action on Saturday, May 18 when it hosts Toronto FC at Rio Tinto Stadium. Tickets to the match can be purchased at RSL.com or by calling 844.REAL.TIX.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 14, 2019
- Real Salt Lake FW Julian Vazquez Called in to Mexico U-18 Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Chelsea FC in the "Final Whistle on Hate" Match - New England Revolution
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 14, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Orlando City SC - May 15, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: Seattle and Cincy - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas' Match vs LAFC Moved to 6:30PM CT this Sunday, May 19 - FC Dallas
- LAFC Announces Time Change for Away Match against FC Dallas - Los Angeles FC
- Know Your Opponent | Seattle Sounders - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Vancouver Whitecaps - Atlanta United FC
- Three Points: Dynamo Welcome Portland Wednesday, Look to Remain Unbeaten at Home - Houston Dynamo
- New England Revolution and Chelsea FC Announce Complete List of "Final Whistle on Hate" Match Beneficiaries - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Name Bruce Arena Sporting Director and Head Coach - New England Revolution
- Atlanta Silences Doubters with MLS Record-Tying Shutout Streak - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Tigres UANL for Inaugural Leagues Cup Bout
- Real Salt Lake Acquires General Allocation Money from Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Draws 1-1 with Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Faces Crucial Match on Saturday against Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Dismantles Philadelphia Union 4-0