Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Vancouver Whitecaps
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Wednesday night when it travels to face Vancouver Whitecaps at BC Place. The match is scheduled to kick-off at 10 p.m. EST and will be televised on FOX Sports South. For all statistics and media information, please visit our new Media Resources page and game notes.
Atlanta is riding a four-match winning streak and has now matched an MLS record of four consecutive clean sheet victories. The team has won five of its last six matches heading into a three-game road trip at Vancouver Sunday, at New York Red Bulls May 19 and at Real Salt Lake May 24. Atlanta is 1-1-0 all-time versus Vancouver. In the teams' first meeting on June 3, 2017, Vancouver beat Atlanta 3-1 at BC Place. Atlanta won the second meeting 4-1 on March 17, 2018 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, paced by a Josef Martinez hat trick.
Atlanta defeated Orlando City SC 1-0 on Sunday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, improving to 5-0-2 all time versus the Lions. Gonzalo MartÃ-nez scored his first goal for the club in the 14th minute, receiving a pass from Tito Villalba and blasting a left-footed shot into the upper-right corner. Brad Guzan kept his fourth consecutive clean sheet and extended his shutout streak to 366 minutes, the second longest streak in MLS this season. Jeff Larentowicz came on as a substitute to make his 400th MLS appearance, becoming just the third field player in league history to reach that mark.
Vancouver is coming off a 1-0 home win against Portland Timbers on May 10. Freddy Montero scored the game's only goal in the ninth minute to give Vancouver its second home win of the season. The Whitecaps currently sit in eighth place in the Western Conference.
Wednesday, May 15 |BC Place, Vancouver, BC |10 p.m. (EST)
Atlanta United (5-3-2, 17 points) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (3-5-3, 12 points)
English TV | FOX
Spanish Radio | La Mejor 1600 AM
English Radio | 92-9 The Game
9 p.m.: AT&T Countdown to Kickoff (FB Live/Periscope)
9:30 p.m.: The Pre-Game show (92-9 The Game)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 14, 2019
- Real Salt Lake FW Julian Vazquez Called in to Mexico U-18 Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Chelsea FC in the "Final Whistle on Hate" Match - New England Revolution
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 14, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Orlando City SC - May 15, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: Seattle and Cincy - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas' Match vs LAFC Moved to 6:30PM CT this Sunday, May 19 - FC Dallas
- LAFC Announces Time Change for Away Match against FC Dallas - Los Angeles FC
- Know Your Opponent | Seattle Sounders - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Vancouver Whitecaps - Atlanta United FC
- Three Points: Dynamo Welcome Portland Wednesday, Look to Remain Unbeaten at Home - Houston Dynamo
- New England Revolution and Chelsea FC Announce Complete List of "Final Whistle on Hate" Match Beneficiaries - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Name Bruce Arena Sporting Director and Head Coach - New England Revolution
- Atlanta Silences Doubters with MLS Record-Tying Shutout Streak - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- George Bello Named to USA Roster for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil
- Atlanta United Reaches Contract Extension with Miles Robinson
- Time Change: Round 1 Match vs. New England Now 1 p.m.
- Atlanta United Set to Host New England Revolution October 19
- Atlanta United Win 3-1 against New England Revolution