Timbers Weekly Update: June 11, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers square off against Cascadia-rival Seattle Sounders FC in the fourth round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, June 12, at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma, Wash. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match will be streamed live on ESPN+.
U.S. Open Cup history
With the announced pairing with Seattle, Portland will square off against an MLS opponent for a fifth straight year to open the competition. In their last four fourth-round matches, the Timbers have produced a 3-1 record dating back to the 2015 campaign. Five players on Portland's current roster have scored goals for the Timbers in U.S. Open Cup play. Diego Valeri leads the way with three goals, while Dairon Asprilla has recorded two goals and Sebastián Blanco, Jeremy Ebobisse and Julio Cascante have also scored goals.
This fourth-round match marks the eighth meeting between the Timbers and Seattle in U.S. Open Cup play, dating back to their first tournament match as second-division sides in 2005. No two teams have played each other more in the competition in its modern era (1995-present). Wednesday's match will be the 105th competitive match between Portland and Seattle.
On the attack
Eight different players have scored a goal for the Timbers in league play this season and five players have scored multiple goals. Brian Fernandez and Ebobisse are tied for the team lead with four goals each in 2019. Fernandez has scored four goals in his first three games for Portland. Valeri and Blanco have combined for 13 assists this campaign. Valeri ranks fifth in MLS with seven assists, while Blanco has recorded six assists, which ranks tied for sixth in the league.
The Timbers return to league play on Saturday, June 22, when they play host to the Houston Dynamo at Providence Park. Beginning at 8 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
Television: "Timbers in 30"
Throughout the season, "Timbers in 30," hosted by Jake Zivin and Ross Smith, will offer inside access to the club and provide analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers coaches and players. Previously aired shows and "Timbers in 30" features can be found at www.timbers.com.
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," airs every Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on flagship station 1029 and 750 The Game. "Talk Timbers" provides team and league news as well as interviews with Timbers coaches and players during the season, and also features regular updates on T2 and Portland Thorns FC. Fans can submit questions, provide comments or simply follow the conversation on the show on Twitter with the hashtag #TalkTimbers.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 1029 and 750 The Game or listen online at www.1029thegame.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 11, 2019
- Revolution Defeat New York Red Bulls, 3-2, After Extra Time in 2019 U.S. Open Cup 4th Round - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Kick off U.S. Open Cup Title Defense with 3-2 Win over Austin Bold FC - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round Match at Charleston Battery Postponed - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 11, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign Kyle Adams and Andrew Samuels to Short-Term Agreements - Houston Dynamo
- Reggie Cannon Added to U.S. Squad for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - FC Dallas
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- FC Dallas Acquires Forward Ricardo Pepi on Loan - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Lamar Hunt US Open Cup Bout against LAFC Tuesday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Us Open Cup Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City Opens Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Campaign at Memphis - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Announces Angel City Brewery as the Club'sofficial Craft Beer Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Broadcast Team Wins 2019 Northwest Regional Emmy Award - Portland Timbers
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Open Cup Defense against In-State Foe - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Add Rece Buckmaster on Short-Term Agreement - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Parties for Every U.S. Women's National Team World Cup Match - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes to Face La Liga Side Real Valladolid on July 16 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Micheal Azira Called up by Uganda for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations - Montreal Impact
- Heritage of Haitian Homegrowns Etienne and Herivaux Building Pride on and off the Field - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week Around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Finalize Purchase of Argentinian Midfielder TomÃs Conechny
- Timbers Register 2-1 Win on the Road against Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers, Orlando City SC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers, Thorns FC, T2 Team up with Local Partners to Present Eighth-Annual Stand Together Week July 28-August 3
- Timbers Weekly Update: July 16, 2019