Dynamo Kick off U.S. Open Cup Title Defense with 3-2 Win over Austin Bold FC
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo advanced in the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with a 3-2 win over Austin Bold FC tonight at BBVA Compass Stadium. With the win, Houston moves on to the Round of 16 in the annual single-elimination tournament.
Dynamo midfielder Tomás Martínez gave Houston the lead in the 14th minute after he capitalized on a deflection outside the box. An Austin Bold defender blocked forward Marlon Hairston's shot at the near post and the ball fell to Martínez, who scored his third goal of the year in all competitions for Houston.
Martínez added an assist to his ledger in the 31st minute after he drew Austin goalkeeper Diego Restrepo and the Bold FC defense to the near post. The Argentine midfielder found forward Ronaldo Peña unmarked in the heart of the box, where he smashed a left-footed shot into the roof of the net for his first goal of the year. Dynamo midfielder Juan David Cabezas began the charge by winning the ball in midfield after he stripped Austin Bold midfielder Sonny Guadarrama.
Midfielder Matías Vera added to Houston's lead in the 40th minute after a one-two with Peña inside the box. Vera sprinted into the box onto a no-look backheel pass from the Venezuelan forward and finished for this first goal with the club.
Shortly after halftime, Austin Bold midfielder Xavier Baez pulled a goal back after his free kick deflected off Cabezas in the 48th minute. Ten minutes later, midfielder Isaac Promise tallied Austin's second goal of the night after he capitalized on a rebound inside the box in the 58th minute to make it 3-2.
Promise and defender Demar Phillips both came on as halftime substitutes for head coach Marcelo Serrano, and the duo combined for Bold FC's second goal. Dynamo goalkeeper Tyler Deric made a save on Phillips' shot at the far post, but the rebound fell to Promise, who put home the second chance.
Deric stayed busy over the final 30 minutes as Austin continued to push numbers forward in search of the equalizer, but the Dynamo Academy product and his defense were up to the task and saw the game out. Deric finished with four saves on the night in his first action of the season with the Dynamo first team.
U.S. Soccer will host a draw at 10 a.m. CDT on Thursday to determine the matchups for the Round of 16, which will take place on June 18 and 19. The club's next match in league play is Saturday, June 22 at Portland Timbers FC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 11, 2019
- Revolution Defeat New York Red Bulls, 3-2, After Extra Time in 2019 U.S. Open Cup 4th Round - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Kick off U.S. Open Cup Title Defense with 3-2 Win over Austin Bold FC - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round Match at Charleston Battery Postponed - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 11, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign Kyle Adams and Andrew Samuels to Short-Term Agreements - Houston Dynamo
- Reggie Cannon Added to U.S. Squad for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - FC Dallas
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- FC Dallas Acquires Forward Ricardo Pepi on Loan - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Lamar Hunt US Open Cup Bout against LAFC Tuesday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Us Open Cup Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City Opens Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Campaign at Memphis - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Announces Angel City Brewery as the Club'sofficial Craft Beer Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Broadcast Team Wins 2019 Northwest Regional Emmy Award - Portland Timbers
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Open Cup Defense against In-State Foe - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Add Rece Buckmaster on Short-Term Agreement - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Parties for Every U.S. Women's National Team World Cup Match - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes to Face La Liga Side Real Valladolid on July 16 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Micheal Azira Called up by Uganda for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations - Montreal Impact
- Heritage of Haitian Homegrowns Etienne and Herivaux Building Pride on and off the Field - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week Around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo Fall 4-0 at Portland
- Houston's Open Cup Title Defense Ends with 3-2 Loss to Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo Sign Kyle Adams and Carlos Small to Short-Term Agreements
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Host Minnesota United FC in Open Cup Round of 16
- Dynamo Continue Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title Defense against Minnesota United in Round of 16 on June 18