Timbers Fall to FC Dallas in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs on Penalty Kicks
PORTLAND, Ore. - In the first round of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs, the Portland Timbers fell in a penalty-kick shootout 8-7 against FC Dallas at Providence Park on Sunday night. Jorge Villafaña tallied a goal late in the second half for Portland, but FC Dallas notched the game-tying goal in stoppage time to send the match to extra time.
In the third-longest penalty-kick shootout in MLS history, the two teams completed eight rounds of penalty kicks with 16 total attempts. Portland and FC Dallas combined to make 15 consecutive penalty kicks in the shootout - the most consecutive combined makes in MLS Cup Playoffs history. In the eighth round, FC Dallas' Ema Twumasi converted before Villafaña's attempt was saved by FC Dallas goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer.
The penalty-kick shootout was the sixth in a competitive match in all eras of the club, joining 2007 USL Playoffs vs. Atlanta Silverbacks, 2010 U.S. Open Cup third round vs. Seattle Sounders FC, 2015 MLS Knockout Round vs. Sporting Kansas City, the 2018 MLS Cup Western Conference Semifinals vs. Seattle and the 2020 MLS is Back Tournament Round of 16 against FC Cincinnati. It was Portland's fourth penalty-kick shootout in its MLS era.
2020 Season In Review
Portland made its fourth consecutive trip to the postseason in 2020, establishing a club record for consecutive playoff appearances. The Timbers earned their sixth trip (2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020) to the playoffs in 10 MLS seasons. As a team, Portland finished the regular season ranked second in goals scored (46) and led MLS with the most goals scored in road matches (21). Jeremy Ebobisse and Diego Valeri tied for the team lead with eight goals each, while Yimmi Chara recorded a team-best eight assists. In total, 14 players scored at least one goal, while four players concluded the season with seven or more goals: Ebobisse, Valeri, Felipe Mora (7) and Jaroslaw Niezgoda (7). In addition, a total of 14 players recorded an assist, with six players tallying five or more assists: Y. Chara, Valeri (7), Diego Chara (6), Eryk Williamson (5), SebastiÃ¡n Blanco (5) and Villafaña (5).
Valeri 100 Assists
Valeri notched his 100th assist for the Timbers across all competitions. His assist in the match was also his eighth in postseason play with Portland. His eight postseason assists are tied for 12th-most in MLS history with David Beckham and Lee Nguyen.
POR - Jorge Villafaña (Diego Valeri, Cristhian Paredes), 82nd minute: Continuing his run into the box, Jorge Villafaña received a pass from Diego Valeri near the left corner of the six-yard box and fired a powerful strike just under the crossbar.
FCD - Ricardo Pepi, 90+3: Against the run of play, Matt Hedges played a looping ball from near midfield into space for Ricardo Pepi. Timbers goalkeeper Steve Clark made the initial save on Pepi's first attempt at point-blank range, but Pepi pounced on the loose ball and converted near the goal line.
The penalty-kick shootout was the fourth for the Timbers in their MLS era, joining the 2015 Knockout Round match against Sporting Kansas City, the 2018 Western Conference Semifinals against Seattle Sounders FC and the 2020 MLS is Back Tournament Round of 16 match against FC Cincinnati.
Portland and FC Dallas combined to make 15 consecutive penalty kicks in the shootout, which is the most consecutive combined makes in MLS Cup Playoffs history.
The Timbers finished the match with 22 shots - the most by the club in an MLS Cup Playoff game.
The match was the 20th MLS Cup Playoff game in the club's history.
Jorge Villafaña scored his first career postseason goal in his 16th playoff appearance.
Villafaña has scored in two consecutive matches after scoring in Portland's regular-season finale against Los Angeles FC on Nov. 8.
Diego Valeri notched the 100th assist of his Timbers career in all competitions.
Valeri recorded his eighth career postseason assist, which is tied for 12th-most in MLS history with David Beckham and Lee Nguyen
Felipe Mora, Dario Zuparic, Pablo Bonilla, Eryk Williamson, Yimmi Chara, Marco Farfan and Blake Bodily made their MLS Cup Playoffs debuts in the match.
Bodily became the first Homegrown Player in MLS history to play in an MLS Cup Playoffs match before playing in the regular season.
Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs | Western Conference - Round One
Portland Timbers (3) vs. FC Dallas (6)
Nov. 22, 2020 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 ET1 ET2 F PKs
Portland Timbers 0 1 0 0 1 (7)
FC Dallas 0 1 0 0 1 (8)
POR: Villafaña (Valeri, Paredes), 82
FCD: Pepi, 90+3
1 FCD: Ziegler - Goal
1 POR: Valeri - Goal
2 FCD: Jara - Goal
2 POR: Farfan - Goal
3 FCD: Bressan - Goal
3 POR: Zuparic - Goal
4 FCD: Pepi - Goal
4 POR: Ebobisse - Goal
5 FCD: Hollingshead - Goal
5 POR: Bodily - Goal
6 FCD: Hedges - Goal
6 POR: D. Chara - Goal
7 FCD: Tessmann - Goal
7 POR: LorÃa - Goal
8 FCD: Twumasi - Goal
8 POR: Villafaña - Saved
FCD: Picault (caution), 36
FCD: Ricaurte (caution), 75
FCD: Twumasi (caution), 120+1
POR: GK Clark, D Bonilla (Farfan, 94), D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Villafaña, M D. Chara, M Williamson (Paredes, 45), M Polo (Bodily, 105), M Valeri ©, M Y. Chara (LorÃa, 95), F Mora (Ebobisse, 88)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Duvall, D Tuiloma, M Flores
TOTAL SHOTS: 22 (Polo, 6); SHOTS ON GOAL: 8 (Polo, 3); FOULS: 9 (Mabiala, Paredes, 2); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 4
FCD: GK Maurer, D Reynolds, D Hedges ©, D Bressan, D Nelson (Pepi, 85), M Ricaurte (Twumasi, 80), M Santos (Barrios, 86), M Picault (Ziegler, 110), M Ferreira (Tessmann, 61), M Hollingshead, F Jara
Substitutes Not Used: GK Phelipe, M Acosta, M Mosquera, M Servania
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Jara, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Pepi, 3); FOULS: 23 (Jara, Ricaurte, 4); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 7
Referee: Armando Villarreal
Assistant Referees: Cameron Blanchard, Matthew Nelson
Fourth Official: Victor Rivas
VAR: Tim Ford
Weather: Cloudy, 43 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 23, 2020
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - November 28, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 23, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Travels to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tomorrow in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Los Angeles FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces Toronto FC in Eastern Conference Quarterfinal - Nashville SC
- Kicking off Year Two with Inter Miami CF Academy Presented by Baptist Health - Inter Miami CF
- Dynamo Charities to Host Holiday Food Drive at BBVA Stadium Saturday - Houston Dynamo
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Seattle Supports Sounders FC Ahead of Opening Round Playoff Battle against LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- H-E-B Announced as Official Grocer of Austin FC - Austin FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 21-Year-Old Defender Jhon Espinoza - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC, MLSE Foundation and Black Players for Change Announce Community Partnership Ahead of 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Toronto FC
- Sixth-Seeded FC Dallas Upsets Third-Seeded Portland Timbers at Providence Park - FC Dallas
- Timbers Fall to FC Dallas in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs on Penalty Kicks - Portland Timbers
- Loons Win First MLS Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers to Begin 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Tournament Play in April
- Timbers Select Two Players in Final Two Rounds of 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Timbers Acquire $100,000 in General Allocation Money from Orlando City SC in Exchange for Eighth Overall Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Timbers Complete Transfer of Chilean International Forward Felipe Mora from Pumas UNAM
- Timbers Acquire First-Round Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft from LA Galaxy in Exchange for Defender Jorge Villafana