Seattle Sounders FC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today announced that a member of the club's First Team roster has a confirmed case of COVID-19. All other Sounders FC players and members of the club's technical and support staffs have returned multiple negative test results and do not have symptoms.
Upon receiving an initial positive test result, the player immediately self-isolated and was placed into the necessary medical protocol. The individual is to remain in isolation until medically cleared and is being monitored daily by the club's medical staff. Because this player was not a close contact of other members of Seattle's roster or technical staff, Sounders FC's medical staff has determined that risk to the overall team has been managed. It has also been conclusively determined that this latest positive test is unrelated to the club's November 13 announcement. Since that time, Sounders FC has implemented the appropriate contact tracing procedures, adopted a daily testing regiment, while also altering training sessions under the direct supervision of team medical personnel and in compliance with MLS protocol.
The standard MLS testing protocol requires all MLS players to undergo Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tests every other day, including the day before each match. The confirmation of a positive COVID-19 case occurs when an individual receives two consecutive positive test results. Since Sounders FC's announcement on November 13, the club has been testing its personnel daily.
Having claimed the Western Conference's second seed, Sounders FC faces seventh seed LAFC on Tuesday, November 24 (7:30 p.m. PT / ESPN, ESPN Deportes, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM) in the final match of opening round postseason action. With a win, Seattle would advance to the Western Conference Semifinal, where the Rave Green would host FC Dallas, who prevailed over the Portland Timbers in a dramatic shootout on Sunday evening.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 23, 2020
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - November 28, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 23, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Travels to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tomorrow in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Los Angeles FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces Toronto FC in Eastern Conference Quarterfinal - Nashville SC
- Kicking off Year Two with Inter Miami CF Academy Presented by Baptist Health - Inter Miami CF
- Dynamo Charities to Host Holiday Food Drive at BBVA Stadium Saturday - Houston Dynamo
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Seattle Supports Sounders FC Ahead of Opening Round Playoff Battle against LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- H-E-B Announced as Official Grocer of Austin FC - Austin FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 21-Year-Old Defender Jhon Espinoza - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC, MLSE Foundation and Black Players for Change Announce Community Partnership Ahead of 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Toronto FC
- Sixth-Seeded FC Dallas Upsets Third-Seeded Portland Timbers at Providence Park - FC Dallas
- Timbers Fall to FC Dallas in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs on Penalty Kicks - Portland Timbers
- Loons Win First MLS Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland and Defender Jimmy Medranda
- Sounders FC Head Coach Brian Schmetzer Signed to Contract Extension
- Sounders FC Loans Forward Jordan Morris to Swansea City
- Sounders FC Trades for One, Drafts Another in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Sounders FC Completes Transfer of Midfielder Joao Paulo from Botafogo