Chicago Fire FC Acquires 21-Year-Old Defender Jhon Espinoza
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that the Club has acquired 21-year-old Ecuadorian defender Jhon Espinoza via transfer from S.D. Aucas (Ecuador). Espinoza will be added to the Fire's roster pending a medical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P1 Visa. He is under contract with the Fire through the 2023 season with Club options for the 2024 and 2025 seasons.
"Jhon is a talented, young right fullback who will be a great addition to the Club," said Chicago Fire FC Sporting Director Georg Heitz. "With Jhon's signing, we've added another player who will provide more competition and quality within the roster heading into next season. We are excited that he is coming to Chicago and look forward to working with him."
Since making his professional debut on Dec. 12, 2017, Espinoza has made 54 appearances (48 starts) across all competitions while playing in Ecuador's top-flight. He originally began his career with C.D. Cuenca in 2017 and made five appearances (four starts) in two seasons with the Club. Since joining S.D. Aucas ahead of the 2018 campaign, the defender has made 49 appearances (44 starts) across all competitions.
Internationally, he has earned 15 caps for Ecuador's U-20 side, including seven appearances in the 2019 U-20 FIFA World Cup, and two caps for the Ecuador National Team. In 2019, Espinoza captained Ecuador's U-20 team to a first-place finish in the 2019 U-20 South American Championship. He made seven appearances (seven starts) as his home country captured its first-ever championship in the biennial competition.
Espinoza will occupy an international slot on the Fire's 2021 roster. He is the 15th player on the Club's roster age 23 or younger.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC acquires defender Jhon Espinoza via transfer from S.D. Aucas. Espinoza's contract with the Fire will begin in January 2021.
Name: Jhon Espinoza
Weight: 175 lbs.
Date of Birth: Feb. 24, 1999
Hometown: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Birthplace: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Last Club: S.D. Aucas
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 23, 2020
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - November 28, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 23, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Travels to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tomorrow in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Los Angeles FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces Toronto FC in Eastern Conference Quarterfinal - Nashville SC
- Kicking off Year Two with Inter Miami CF Academy Presented by Baptist Health - Inter Miami CF
- Dynamo Charities to Host Holiday Food Drive at BBVA Stadium Saturday - Houston Dynamo
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Seattle Supports Sounders FC Ahead of Opening Round Playoff Battle against LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- H-E-B Announced as Official Grocer of Austin FC - Austin FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 21-Year-Old Defender Jhon Espinoza - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC, MLSE Foundation and Black Players for Change Announce Community Partnership Ahead of 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Toronto FC
- Sixth-Seeded FC Dallas Upsets Third-Seeded Portland Timbers at Providence Park - FC Dallas
- Timbers Fall to FC Dallas in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs on Penalty Kicks - Portland Timbers
- Loons Win First MLS Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC President Nelson Rodriguez Resigns
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. Men's National Team
- Chicago Fire FC Selects Three Players in 2021 MLS SuperDraft Presented by Adidas
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 17-Year-Old Colombian Forward Jhon Jader Duran
- Chicago Fire FC to Develop New Visual Identity, Including New Primary Crest