Timbers Drop 2-0 Result against Philadelphia Union at Providence Park
PORTLAND, Ore. - Playing their fifth match in a 16-day span, the Portland Timbers suffered a 2-0 loss against the Philadelphia Union on Sunday evening at Providence Park. The Timbers will travel to face Eastern Conference side Inter Miami CF on May 28.
PHI - Daniel Gazdag (Alejandro Bedoya, Nathan Harriel), 5th minute: Nathan Harriel delivered a throw in from the right sideline to Alejandro Bedoya, who headed the ball to the top of the six-yard box. With his back to goal, Daniel Gazdag converted with a bicycle kick.
PHI - Sergio Santos (Kai Wagner), 48th minute: Kai Wagner served a long ball from the left wing toward near the penalty spot. Sergio Santos jumped to score with a header into the bottom left corner of the goal.
Sunday's loss marked the first time Portland has lost at home to Philadelphia. The Timbers are 6-3-3 all-time against the Union and 4-1-1 at Providence Park.
The Timbers were shut out for just the second time at home this season, and just the fourth time in 14 matches in 2022.
Portland has played four Eastern Conference side matches this season, earning three points (1L, 3D). Three of the four matches were played at Providence Park (New England, Orlando, Philadelphia).
The Timbers played their fifth match in a 16-day span, playing two midweek matches on the road (LAFC, San Jose Earthquakes).
Portland finished the match with 65.9% possession over the Union.
Larrys Mabiala made his 115th appearance with the Timbers in the match.
Zac McGraw entered as a late game substitute, making his 20th appearance with Portland.
Diego Chara received his 99th regular season yellow card.
D. Chara finished the match with a 97% passing accuracy, completing 66 out of 68 passes.
D. Chara will miss Portland's next match due to yellow card accumulation.
Portland will travel to play Eastern Conference side Inter Miami CF on Saturday, May 28, at DRV PNK Park. The match kicks off at 5 p.m. (Pacific) with a local television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS and local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 22, 2022
- Gazdag Scores Seventh Goal of the Season; Blake Earns Sixth Clean Sheet of the Season - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Drop 2-0 Result against Philadelphia Union at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Called Up: Dairon Reyes Called Up to Cuban National Team - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Falls 2-1 at Home to Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Drops 1-0 Road Result to Colorado Rapids - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting KC Earns Road Result in San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- Djitté Scores Late as Austin FC Comes Back to Earn Draw vs. Orlando City SC - Austin FC
- Dynamo Start Three-Game Road Trip with 3-0 Win over LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo FC
- Loons Get First Ever Win in Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City Splits the Points in Inaugural Meeting with Austin FC - Orlando City SC
- The Quakes Celebrate Jackson Yueill's Goal Early in the Second Half - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls Suffer 2-0 Defeat to Inter Miami CF - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Keeps Clean Sheet, Defeats New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
- Daniel Ríos: "I Want to Dedicate this Goal to My Grandfather" - Charlotte FC
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 1-0 to Reigning Champion New York City FC at Citi Field - Chicago Fire FC
- 'Caps put up valiant effort, fall 2-1 in Charlotte - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Charlotte FC Home Stretch Ends in a Late Bang - Charlotte FC
- Penalty Kick Lifts NYCFC over Chicago Fire - New York City FC
- CF Montréal Edged by Real Salt Lake - Club de Foot Montreal
- Real Salt Lake Earns Second Consecutive Come-From-Behind Victory - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC Faces the Colorado Rapids Tonight at Dick's Sporting Goods Park - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Host Sporting Kansas City Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Injury Report: Team News for Chicago Clash - New York City FC
- You'Re Invited: XTRA TIME at the XBTO Northwest Club NOW OPEN to All Guests Postgame - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Ten-Man Timbers Down Houston Dynamo FC 2-1 at Providence Park
- Jaroslaw Niezgoda and Bill Tuiloma Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 16
- Timbers Blank Colorado Rapids in 3-0 Victory at Providence Park
- Timbers Award $60,000 in Community Fund Grants
- Timbers, Thorns FC Team up with Local Partners for 11th Annual Stand Together Week July 11-17