Thunder Sign Three Skaters
Glens Falls, NY - The Adirondack Thunder have signed forwards Quinn Smith and Phil Bronner and defenseman Nicholas Kuqali to Standard Player Contracts.
Smith, 24, joins his fourth ECHL team of the season with the Thunder, after previously spending time with the Norfolk Admirals, Missouri Mavericks and Idaho Steelheads during his rookie season. The Fairfield, CT native has appeared in 19 ECHL contests thus far in 2015-16 and has collected two points (1-1-2). Smith has played three games against Adirondack this season with Norfolk, going scoreless with a +1 rating. Prior to beginning his professional career, Smith played four seasons of college hockey at Boston College where he was teammates with Thunder defenseman Patch Alber. Smith collected 42 points (18-24-42) in his collegiate career and won a National Championship with the Eagles in 2012.
Bronner, 26, joins the Thunder from the Danbury Thrashers of the Federal Hockey League, where he has collected 48 points (22-26-48) in 32 games played. The 6'2" forward has appeared in three ECHL contests this season with the Elmira Jackals, where he was held scoreless with six shots on goal. Bronner has skated in 10 ECHL games during his three-year professional career and has collected two goals, both coming with Elmira in the 2014-15 season. Bronner scored his first career professional goal on December 31 against the Reading Royals. Prior to turning pro, the Wilbraham, MA native played four season of collegiate hockey at UMass-Dartmouth of the MASCAC.
Kuqali, 30, makes the Thunder the eleventh stop of his well-traveled professional career, which has included ECHL tenures in Orlando, South Carolina, Wheeling, Fort Wayne and Evansville. The Dallas, TX native has collected seven points (0-7-7) in 44 career ECHL contests, including nine games this season with the Komets and IceMen. Kuqali joins Adirondack from the Louisiana Ice Gators of the SPHL, where he has amassed five points (1-4-5) over 24 games played. In total, the 6'3" blueliner has appeared in 262 professional contests over four leagues and took part in the 2011 FHL Commissioners Cup, where he and the New York Aviators fell in four games to the Akwesasne Warriors.
The Thunder return to the Civic Center tonight to take on the Elmira Jackals and host the Wheeling Nailers on Friday. Don't miss out on the speed, skill, strength and sounds of Thunder hockey with a partial season flex or mini ticket plan today. The Adirondack Thunder have several mini-packs on sale now, consisting of two or four tickets, combined with a taste of downtown gift card. Send a jolt into your holidays with the gift of Adirondack Thunder hockey. For more information on all Thunder ticket plans, call 518-480-3355 x1 or visit echlthunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2016
- Staal's Third Period Goal Helps Rays Beat ECHL's Top Team - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jackals Dominate Thunder, 8-0 - Elmira Jackals
- Rutkowski Powers IceMen Past Komets in Overtime - Evansville IceMen
- Escobedo Returns to Swamp Rabbits; Dodero Recalled - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Colorado Eagles Weekly Recap - Colorado Eagles
- Thunder Sign Three Skaters - Adirondack Thunder
- Mallards Acquire Netminder Musico - Quad City Mallards
- Serville Returns to Tulsa: Manitoba Moose Re-Assign Defenseman to Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Maple Leafs Reassign Goalie Garret Sparks to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Musico Dealt to Quad City for Future Considerations - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Add Keegan Asmundson Prior to Road Trip - Indy Fuel
- Fort Wayne's Nagle Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: South Carolina at Missouri, 8:05 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jackals Travel to Glens Falls for Tuesday Tilt with Thunder - Elmira Jackals
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Elmira - Adirondack Thunder
- Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Wheelchair Hockey Game Set for February 22nd - Wichita Thunder
- Allan McPherson Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - Elmira Jackals
- Elmira's McPherson Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- ECHL Today - February 9 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Thunder Use Four Third-Period Goals to Crown Royals 6-3
- Riley Tells Growlers to Sit, Stay in 6-4 Thunder Win
- Thunder Send Growlers to Doghouse in 4-1 Win
- Cool Insuring Arena Announces Naming Rights Extension
- Colton White Fifth Adirondack Thunder Alum to Make NHL Debut