Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip on Wednesday at Soldier Field
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo begin a two-game road trip on Wednesday with their inaugural visit to Soldier Field. The Dynamo will face Chicago Fire FC, their first Eastern Conference opponent of the season prior to closing the road trip on Saturday in Tennessee.
The Dynamo will look to build on Saturday's 2-2 draw with Minnesota United. The Dynamo overcame a two-goal deficit at home with goals from Darwin Quintero and Maynor Figueroa. Quintero was denied from the penalty spot in the first half, but the forward capitalized on a clearance from the Loons goalkeeper that found him out of position. The savvy veteran chipped the ball over the Minnesota backline for his fifth goal of the season.
Figueroa scored the equalizer, and his first goal for the club, minutes later again off a loose ball inside the box. The Honduran international capitalized on a drifting ball that he headed toward the near post for his sixth MLS goal.
The Dynamo won the last meeting between both teams in Illinois and hold a 10-7-8 edge in the series. Chicago enters the game with the last victory in the series, a tight 1-0 triumph at BBVA Stadium on Aug. 8, 2019.
This is the first year for Chicago manager Raphael Wicky who signed with the club in Dec. after working with Dynamo head coach Tab Ramos at U.S. Soccer as the U-17 men's national team head coach. Wicky led the U-17 team to the final of the 2019 Concacaf Championship and the program's 17th FIFA World Cup berth. The former Swiss international was previously the manager of FC Basel in Switzerland from 2017-2019.
The Fire have struggled in their first year under Wicky as they enter Wednesday's match with a 2-7-3 record and a 1-1-1 record at home. The Dynamo will be the first Western Conference team to visit Soldier Field where Chicago has held firm defensively. Out of the 22 goals allowed this season, only four have been at home.
The Dynamo will travel to Tennessee for the first time on Saturday to face Nashville SC on Univision.
Houston Dynamo vs. Chicago Fire FC
Wednesday, Sept. 23 - 6:30 p.m. CDT
QuestTexas Ch. 55 (Glenn Davis and Eddie Robinson)
TelExitos Ch. 47.2 (Alex Parra and Enrique Vazquez)
TUDN Radio Houston 1010 AM (Daniel Mejia and Lester Gretsch)
Here are three key points ahead of Wednesday's game:
1. OFFENSE LOOKS TO NEW OPTIONS: Darwin Quintero, Memo Rodriguez and Mauro Manotas have combined for six goals in the last five games and the trio will be key as the Dynamo transition to an offense without Honduran international, Alberth Elis. The offense will also look to Ari Lassiter, Niko Hansen and Christian Ramirez, who have contributed five goals in their limited minutes after the MLS is Back Tournament. The offense will unquestionably run through Quintero who leads the team in goals with five and adds six assists in his first season with the club. The offense has been effective away from BBVA Stadium as seven of the 15 goals scored this year have been on the road. That tally doesn't include the five goals scored at the MLS is Back Tournament, which featured a 3-3 shootout with the reigning MLS Supporter's Shield winners, LAFC.
2. ELIS DEPARTS FOR EUROPE: Alberth Elis completed his transfer to Portuguese side Boavista FC on Monday. After months of speculation the Honduran international departs Houston as one of the most decorated players in franchise history. The 2018 MLS All-Star leaves after scoring 36 goals and adding 30 assists across all competitions for the Dynamo. Elis can make his debut as early as Saturday when Boavista face the reigning Portuguese champions, FC Porto.
3. CHICAGO WINLESS IN FIVE GAMES: Chicago enter the match with a five-game winless streak and sit at the bottom of the Eastern Conference after the 4-1 loss in Florida against Orlando City SC on Saturday. Offensively, the Fire will look for a spark from Alvaro Medran, Djordje Mihailovic and Gaston Gimenez who have combined for two goals and seven assists this season. The Dynamo backline will also keep an eye on Robert Beric and Fabian Hebers who have scored a combined six goals in 2020. Beric is a member of the Slovenian National Team and signed with the Fire in January from Ligue 1 club AS Saint-Etienne. The forward has shared the field at the international stage with Dynamo center back Kiki Struna.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 22, 2020
- LAFC to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Wednesday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- New York City FC Announces Remainder of Regular Season Schedule - New York City FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Returns Home to Face D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Real Salt Lake Signs RSL Academy Product Bode Davis - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Head South for Mid-Week Matchup at Inter Miami - New York Red Bulls
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Earthquakes Stadium - San Jose Earthquakes
- Minnesota United FC vs. Columbus Crew Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Caps Home Spell Wednesday against LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Montreal Impact - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Dallas - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC Announces Remaining MLS Regular Season Schedule - Toronto FC
- Colorado Rapids vs San Jose Earthquakes: MLS Preview: September 23, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bull Arena to Continue to Host NYCFC, Montreal Matches - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC's Remainder of 2020 Major League Soccer Regular Season Schedule Revealed - Columbus Crew SC
- Major League Soccer Announces Remainder of 2020 Regular-Season Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- LAFC and MLS Announce Remainder of 2020 Regular Season Schedule - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Unveils Its Remaining Regular Season Matches in Inaugural MLS Season - Nashville SC
- Rapids Announce Remaining Regular Season Schedule, Featuring Four Home, Five Away Matches - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Announces Remaining 2020 Season Schedule - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer Announces Remaining 2020 Regular Season Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United and MLS Announce Remaining Regular Season Schedule - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Remaining 2020 MLS Regular Season Schedule Announced - LA Galaxy
- MLS Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule - Atlanta United FC
- Remaining matches of FC Cincinnati's regular season schedule unveiled - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule - Minnesota United FC
- New York City FC Announces Remainder of Regular Season Schedule - New York City FC
- MLS Unveils Schedule for Remainder of the 2020 Season - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Announces Remaining 2020 Regular Season Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Announce Remainder of 2020 MLS Regular-Season Schedule - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Announce Remaining 2020 MLS Regular Season Schedule - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Announce Remainder of Regular Season Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Announce Schedule for Remainder of 2020 Regular Season - New England Revolution
- Orlando City SC Announces Final Nine Matches of MLS Regular-Season Schedule - Orlando City SC
- Houston Dynamo Announce Remainder of 2020 Regular Season Schedule - Houston Dynamo
- Sporting KC Releases Remainder of 2020 Schedule - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Announces Nine Additional Regular Season Matches - FC Dallas
- MLS Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule - MLS
- In Honor of National Voter Registration Day, Rapids Announce Partnership with 'I Am a Voter' and 'Rally the Vote' - Colorado Rapids
- Orlando City Travels to Sporting Kansas City for Midweek Match - Orlando City SC
- #ATLvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew SC Joins Professional Sports Team-Led Voter Registration Coalition "Rally the Vote" - Columbus Crew SC
- Storylines: City vs. Sporting KC - Orlando City SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip on Wednesday at Soldier Field - Houston Dynamo
- Preview: Sporting to Host Orlando on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- Fort Lauderdale CF to Visit the Richmond Kickers - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Signs Marcelino Moreno from Club Atletico Lanus - Atlanta United FC
- Zardes Scoring Speaks Loudly for Silently Spectacular Columbus: This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- 10-Man Dynamo Fall 2-1 at Los Angeles FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Carlos Vela and LAFC to Open Road Trip
- Dynamo Draw 1-1 with Columbus Crew SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to Bbva Stadium to Host Columbus Crew SC
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows