Columbus Crew SC Joins Professional Sports Team-Led Voter Registration Coalition "Rally the Vote"
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced, on National Voter Registration Day, that it has joined the Sacramento Kings-led "Rally the Vote," a nonpartisan coalition with When We All Vote and RISE . The Coalition is comprised of professional sports franchises across the country committed to encouraging fans to register to vote and participate in elections. The effort now includes more than 40 professional sports teams across MLS, NWSL, NBA, WNBA, MLB and NHL.
Joining the coalition aligns with the Club's support of Major League Soccer's "MLS Unites to Vote" initiative launched last week. Last Thursday, MLS, Black Players for Change (BPC) and the MLS Players Association (MLSPA) announced the launch of "MLS Unites to Vote," a league-wide, non-partisan initiative to help players, staff and fans register to vote and participate in this year's election. MLS Unites to Vote, which began in advance of National Black Voter Day (Friday, Sept. 18) and National Voter Registration Day (today, Tuesday, Sept. 22), aims to educate the MLS community on the voting process, drive voter registration, and encourage volunteerism on Election Day.
"Central to the mission of our Club, the Columbus Crew SC fully embraces its responsibility to give back to Central Ohio and promote dialogue on important issues that impact the community," said Crew SC Executive Vice President and Chief Business Officer Steve Lyons. "We are proud to join this effort to encourage fans to make their voices heard. Through this nonpartisan coalition and the work already being done by 'MLS Unites to Vote,' we are urging our supporters in Columbus and across the country to register to vote and participate in elections. By teaming up with 'Rally The Vote' and leveraging the strength of our MLS platform ahead of Election Day, we are committed to doing our part to give our fans a voice. "
In partnership with When We All Vote and RISE, Rally the Vote was relaunched to help address the voter registration gap. The coalition has been designed to leverage team digital platforms to directly reach tens of millions of fans nationwide to promote civic participation by increasing the amount of new registrations and ensuring all of those who register to vote cast a ballot in the 2020 general election. When We All Vote and RISE, two national nonpartisan nonprofits focused year-round on raising public awareness about the importance of voting, are providing important resources to participating teams such as custom online voter register portals for fans and voter education and registration curriculum for players, employees and community partners.
The coalition was originally launched by the Kings on September 25, 2018 (National Voter Registration Day) as the first time sports franchises from different leagues came together to provide fans a seamless way to register to vote. In 2018, the nine-team effort reached millions of people online and registered thousands of voters in the weeks leading up to the midterm elections.
For more information, to register to vote and take action, visit: https://www.whenweallvote.org/ColumbusCrew/ .
Crew SC hosts Minnesota United FC on Wednesday, September 23 [7:30 p.m. ET / FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO (Stream) / 97.1 The Fan & 971TheFan.com (English), ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)]. Wednesday's home contest will be the fourth all-time regular-season meeting between the Black & Gold and the Loons, with the Crew holding an all-time regular-season winning record of 2-1-0.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 22, 2020
- LAFC to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Wednesday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- New York City FC Announces Remainder of Regular Season Schedule - New York City FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Returns Home to Face D.C. United - Nashville SC
- Real Salt Lake Signs RSL Academy Product Bode Davis - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Head South for Mid-Week Matchup at Inter Miami - New York Red Bulls
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Earthquakes Stadium - San Jose Earthquakes
- Minnesota United FC vs. Columbus Crew Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Caps Home Spell Wednesday against LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Montreal Impact - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Dallas - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC Announces Remaining MLS Regular Season Schedule - Toronto FC
- Colorado Rapids vs San Jose Earthquakes: MLS Preview: September 23, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bull Arena to Continue to Host NYCFC, Montreal Matches - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC's Remainder of 2020 Major League Soccer Regular Season Schedule Revealed - Columbus Crew SC
- Major League Soccer Announces Remainder of 2020 Regular-Season Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- LAFC and MLS Announce Remainder of 2020 Regular Season Schedule - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Unveils Its Remaining Regular Season Matches in Inaugural MLS Season - Nashville SC
- Rapids Announce Remaining Regular Season Schedule, Featuring Four Home, Five Away Matches - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Announces Remaining 2020 Season Schedule - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer Announces Remaining 2020 Regular Season Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United and MLS Announce Remaining Regular Season Schedule - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Remaining 2020 MLS Regular Season Schedule Announced - LA Galaxy
- MLS Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule - Atlanta United FC
- Remaining matches of FC Cincinnati's regular season schedule unveiled - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule - Minnesota United FC
- New York City FC Announces Remainder of Regular Season Schedule - New York City FC
- MLS Unveils Schedule for Remainder of the 2020 Season - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Announces Remaining 2020 Regular Season Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Announce Remainder of 2020 MLS Regular-Season Schedule - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Announce Remaining 2020 MLS Regular Season Schedule - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Announce Remainder of Regular Season Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Announce Schedule for Remainder of 2020 Regular Season - New England Revolution
- Orlando City SC Announces Final Nine Matches of MLS Regular-Season Schedule - Orlando City SC
- Houston Dynamo Announce Remainder of 2020 Regular Season Schedule - Houston Dynamo
- Sporting KC Releases Remainder of 2020 Schedule - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Announces Nine Additional Regular Season Matches - FC Dallas
- MLS Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule - MLS
- In Honor of National Voter Registration Day, Rapids Announce Partnership with 'I Am a Voter' and 'Rally the Vote' - Colorado Rapids
- Orlando City Travels to Sporting Kansas City for Midweek Match - Orlando City SC
- #ATLvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew SC Joins Professional Sports Team-Led Voter Registration Coalition "Rally the Vote" - Columbus Crew SC
- Storylines: City vs. Sporting KC - Orlando City SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip on Wednesday at Soldier Field - Houston Dynamo
- Preview: Sporting to Host Orlando on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- Fort Lauderdale CF to Visit the Richmond Kickers - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Signs Marcelino Moreno from Club Atletico Lanus - Atlanta United FC
- Zardes Scoring Speaks Loudly for Silently Spectacular Columbus: This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Josh Williams Suspended
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face the Houston Dynamo Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Captain Jonathan Mensah to Multi-Year Contract Extension
- "Together We Rise": Columbus Crew SC Tickets for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Now on Sale
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Fan Contest to Design New Commemorative Patch for Nordecke Season Ticket Members at New Crew Stadium