Thomas Jankins Promoted, Justin Topa Joins Shuckers
BILOXI, MS - The Biloxi Shuckers, Double-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers, announced a pair of roster moves on Friday prior to their doubleheader against the Pensacola Blue Wahoos. RHP Thomas Jankins has been promoted to Triple-A San Antonio and RHP Justin Topa has been added to the Shuckers roster from the Rocky Mountain Vibes.
Jankins moves up to Triple-A for the second time in his career. During the 2018 season, Jankins appeared in one game for Triple-A Colorado Springs, pitching five shutout innings on August 30. The 23-year-old righty earns a promotion after going 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA in three starts with the Shuckers this season. Jankins tossed the first complete game of his career on April 7 against Birmingham, allowing one unearned run in seven innings of work while retiring the final 17 batters that he faced. In 2018, Jankins became the first Biloxi Shuckers pitcher ever to win five straight starts and was named a Southern League Midseason All-Star.
In a corresponding move, Topa has been added to the Shuckers pitching staff. A 17th-round pick by the Pirates in 2013 out of LIU Brooklyn, Topa was signed as a minor-league free agent by the Brewers after pitching in the Rangers organization during the 2018 season. Following a four-game stint with the Rockland Boulders of the independent Can-Am League to start the 2018 season, Topa pitched in nine games with the Frisco Roughriders last year, going 2-3 with a 5.71 ERA over six starts and three relief appearances. During his five-year career, Topa has pitched in 88 games, appearing as a reliever in 45 games.
The Shuckers conclude their five-game series against the Pensacola Blue Wahoos with a doubleheader on Friday night starting at 5:35 pm. RHP Alec Bettinger (0-0, 5.23) takes the mound for Biloxi against Blue Wahoos RHP Griffin Jax (0-0, 0.00) in game one. Both games will be seven innings and game two will start approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one. The game can be heard locally on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio and the MiLB First Pitch App. The game can also be seen on MiLB.TV, and fans can save $10 on their subscription when they use the promo code 'Shuckers' at checkout. It's Fireworks Friday at MGM Park with postgame fireworks following the second game.
Full Season Shuck Nation memberships, Weekender Shuck Nation memberships and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale now and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. Biloxi will host the 2019 Southern League All-Star Festivities, with a Home Run Derby on Monday, June 17 and the All-Star Game at 6:35 pm on Tuesday, June 18 at MGM Park. Tickets for 2019 All-Star Events are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Blue Wahoos Split Doubleheader in Biloxi - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals, Tennessee Halt Play Due to Weather - Jackson Generals
- Lien Homers Twice, But M-Braves Drop Series Finale - Mississippi Braves
- Five-Run Barons Sixth Dooms Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Prevent Sweep with 8-4 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Wins Fourth Straight Behind Big Sixth Inning - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies and Generals Suspended, 2-1 in the Third Inning - Tennessee Smokies
- Thomas Jankins Promoted, Justin Topa Joins Shuckers - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Gameday: April 19 at Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Buzzbox Premium Cocktails, Biloxi Shuckers Announce Partnership - Biloxi Shuckers
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, April 19 vs. Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Chavez to Injured List, Lopez to Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Homestand Highlights: April 20-24 vs. Montgomery Biscuits - Mississippi Braves
- Three in a Row: Generals Shred Smokies Bullpen, Claim Series Victory - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Biloxi Shuckers Stories
- Spectra Food Services Donates Stock to Harrison County Senior Living
- Start of Minor League Baseball Season Delayed
- MGM Park to Host Six Games During Battle at the Beach
- Individual Tickets on Sale Now for Shuckers Home Games
- Biloxi Shuckers Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule