Five-Run Barons Sixth Dooms Jacksonville
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Brian Miller launched his first Double-A home run, but a five-run Birmingham Barons sixth inning sunk the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp in front of 4,927 fans at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. Fans enjoyed NAPA AutoCare Family Fireworks and Friday Night Lites spiced up by Tijuana Flats presented by Miller Lite and Coors Light.
With the Jumbo Shrimp (5-10) ahead 2-1, Laz Rivera started the Birmingham (8-7) sixth inning with a double. After a single and a walk issued by Jacksonville starter Jordan Yamamoto (0-2), Micker Adolfo doubled in a pair of runs to give the Barons the lead. A ground out and walk led to an RBI single by Alfredo Gonzalez and RBI ground out from Mitch Roman. Joel Booker then knocked in another run with an RBI base knock to make it 6-2.
The Barons added an insurance run in the ninth inning on Rivera's RBI single.
Miller launched a solo shot in the first inning off Birmingham starter Sean Nolin (1-0) to allow Jacksonville to strike first.
After a Luis Gonzalez RBI single tied the game in the top of the third, Magneuris Sierra extended his hitting streak to 13 games with an RBI single of his own in the bottom of the frame.
Jordan Milbrath struck out five in 2.1 scoreless innings of relief for Jacksonville.
Friday's winning raffle number of 1917597025 won a prize of $391.
The Jumbo Shrimp start a five-game set with Saturday's 7:35 ET contest at Biloxi. RHP Cody Poteet (1-1, 3.27 ERA) makes the start for Jacksonville. Coverage begins at 7:20 p.m. on MiLB.tv, Sunny 102.3 FM, TuneIn and jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Blue Wahoos Split Doubleheader in Biloxi - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals, Tennessee Halt Play Due to Weather - Jackson Generals
- Lien Homers Twice, But M-Braves Drop Series Finale - Mississippi Braves
- Five-Run Barons Sixth Dooms Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Prevent Sweep with 8-4 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Wins Fourth Straight Behind Big Sixth Inning - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies and Generals Suspended, 2-1 in the Third Inning - Tennessee Smokies
- Thomas Jankins Promoted, Justin Topa Joins Shuckers - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Gameday: April 19 at Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Buzzbox Premium Cocktails, Biloxi Shuckers Announce Partnership - Biloxi Shuckers
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, April 19 vs. Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Chavez to Injured List, Lopez to Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Homestand Highlights: April 20-24 vs. Montgomery Biscuits - Mississippi Braves
- Three in a Row: Generals Shred Smokies Bullpen, Claim Series Victory - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.