Barons Wins Fourth Straight Behind Big Sixth Inning
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Birmingham Barons (8-7) ran their season-long win streak to four games with a 7-2 victory over the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (5-10) on Friday night at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.
Sparked by a two-RBI double off the bat of Micker Adolfo, the Barons used a five-run sixth inning to power past the Jumbo Shrimp. Adolfo's double, which gave the Barons a 3-2 lead at the time, marked his third extra-base hit of the season.
Alfredo Gonzalez followed with a run-scoring single to give the Barons some breathing room, while Mitch Roman (RBI-groundout) and Joel Booker (RBI-single) helped extend the advantage to 6-2.
The five-run frame proved plenty of support for Barons starter Sean Nolin (W, 1-0), who earned his first win of the season. The left-hander scattered six hits across six innings and allowed just two earned runs. Nolin struck out eight in the victory, which included a stretch of five in a row between the third and fifth innings.
Jumbo Shrimp right-hander Jordan Yamamoto (L, 0-2) suffered the loss after the Barons tagged him for four runs in five-plus innings of work. Prior to the sixth, the lone Barons run of the game came via an RBI-single from Luis Gonzalez in the third.
A ninth-inning RBI-single by Laz Rivera represented the final run of the game as Barons relievers Danny Dopico and Connor Walsh sealed the win with three shutout frames.
The Barons will return home to begin a five-game series against the Jackson Generals on Saturday. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m. at Regions Field as Barons left-hander Kodi Medeiros (0-1, 9.00) opposes Generals right-hander Riley Smith (0-2, 7.71)
Coverage of Saturday's game will begin at 6:15 p.m. on WJQX-FM 100.5 with the Coca-Cola Pregame Show.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Blue Wahoos Split Doubleheader in Biloxi - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals, Tennessee Halt Play Due to Weather - Jackson Generals
- Lien Homers Twice, But M-Braves Drop Series Finale - Mississippi Braves
- Five-Run Barons Sixth Dooms Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Prevent Sweep with 8-4 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Wins Fourth Straight Behind Big Sixth Inning - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies and Generals Suspended, 2-1 in the Third Inning - Tennessee Smokies
- Thomas Jankins Promoted, Justin Topa Joins Shuckers - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Gameday: April 19 at Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Buzzbox Premium Cocktails, Biloxi Shuckers Announce Partnership - Biloxi Shuckers
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, April 19 vs. Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Chavez to Injured List, Lopez to Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Homestand Highlights: April 20-24 vs. Montgomery Biscuits - Mississippi Braves
- Three in a Row: Generals Shred Smokies Bullpen, Claim Series Victory - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.