The Rock Report
Fri., Feb. 14
PRO 3 vs. STJ 2
The IceCaps surrendered three first period goals and were unable to complete the comeback, losing 3-2 to the Bruins. Carl Klingberg and John Albert scored for St. John's, while Will O'Neill picked up two assists. Michael Hutchinson stopped 22 shots in the loss.
Sun., Feb. 16
MCH 4 vs. STJ 3 (SO)
Despite outshooting the Monarchs 43-25, the IceCaps fell 4-3 in a shootout at Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH. Carl Klingberg, Adam Lowry and John Albert scored in regulation but Martin Jones denied all four shooters in the shootout in a first star effort.
Tue., Feb. 18
STJ 7 at POR 5
In a wild game that saw the teams combine for 12 goals, 78 shots and 96 penalty minutes, the IceCaps outlasted the Pirates 7-5 at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, ME. St. John's exploded for a franchise record six second period goals and fired a new club-best 49 shots overall at the Portland net to snap a three-game losing streak.
Andrew Gordon led the way with two goals and two assists.
Streaking: Despite not playing in the AHL for nearly two months, Eric O'Dell is riding a seven-game point streak dating back to Dec. 11 vs.
Syracuse. O'Dell has notched a point in each of his four games since returning to the IceCaps, including a goal Tuesday at Portland.
Spinning Records: The IceCaps tied or set multiple records in Tuesday's 7- 5 win over the Pirates in Lewiston. St. John's scored a club-best six goals in the second period and tied a record for most shots in a single frame with 23. The IceCaps also set a new single-game mark for shots on goal with 49 and have now scored 14 goals vs. the Pirates in their last two trips to the Androscoggin Bank Colisee (including a 7-4 win on Jan. 31).
Albert Dangerous on the PK: Top penalty killer John Albert has added a new dimension to his game of late, notching three shorthanded goals in his last five contests. The third-year pro has a league-leading four on the season and has surpassed Jason Jaffray's team record (3) for most in a season by an IceCap.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 19, 2014
- Senators Strike in OT to Down Penguins, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Varone's Heroics Lift Amerks to 3-2 Overtime Win over Wild - Rochester Americans
- Rochester Stuns Iowa in OT for 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- B-Sens Battle Back for 4-3 OT Win - Binghamton Senators
- Hot Hogs Return to BMO this Weekend - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Flames Recall Joni Ortio and Derek Smith from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Recall Trupp from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Mike Cornell Loaned to Florida - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Trio Heads to LA - Manchester Monarchs
- Three Wolves Players Visit Local Libraries on February 26 - Chicago Wolves
- Precision Shot Pays off for B-Sens Fans - Binghamton Senators
- Sound Tigers Acquire Tremblay from Barons - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Nick Larson Reassigned to South Carolina - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Coyotes Recall Gormley from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Comets Prep for NY State Tour - Utica Comets
- Four Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Minnesota Recalls Blum and Dowell - Iowa Wild
- Cesari Works Behind the Scenes to Keep Wolf Pack in Top Condition - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers Sign Joel Broda to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- The Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.