Texas Stars Add Five Skaters to Roster
CEDAR PARK, Texas - Dallas Stars General Manager Jim Nill announced today that the club has signed center Rhett Gardner and defenseman Joseph Cecconi to two-year, entry-level contracts, and has signed right wing Josh Melnick to a one-year, entry-level contract, each beginning in 2019-20. Gardner, Cecconi and Melnick will report to the Texas Stars on amateur tryouts for the remainder of the 2018-19 season.
Additionally, the Texas Stars have signed left wing Diego Cuglietta to an amateur tryout for the remainder of the 2018-19 season. Center Ty Dellandria will also be joining the Stars on assignment after finishing his junior season in the Ontario Hockey League.
Gardner, 23, registered 15 points (8-7=15) in 37 games during his senior season at University of North Dakota. Gardner ranked third on the team with eight goals on the season and was tied for the team lead with three power play goals. Gardner amassed 74 points (34-40=74) in 149 career NCAA games over his four seasons with University of North Dakota, helping the Fighting Hawks win the 2016 National Championship.
The 6-foot-3, 210-pound native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan was selected by Dallas in the fourth round (116th overall) of the 2016 NHL Draft.
Cecconi, 21, recorded 20 points (3-17=20) in 36 games during his senior season at University of Michigan. Cecconi served as captain in 2018-19 and ranked second on the team with 17 assists this season, while he also ranked second among team defensemen and fifth among all team skaters with 20 points. The blueliner appeared in 147 career NCAA games over four seasons at University of Michigan and registered 62 points (9-53=62).
The 6-foot-2, 210-pound native of Youngstown, N.Y. was selected by Dallas in the fifth round (133rd overall) of the 2015 NHL Draft.
Melnick, 23, registered 26 points (10-16=26) in 32 games during his senior season at Miami University. The forward served as captain in 2018-19 and led the Redhawks with 26 points and five power play goals, while he finished tied for second on the team with 10 goals. Melnick wraps up his collegiate career having amassed 107 points (38-69=107) in 140 games over four seasons with Miami University.
The 5-foot-10, 180-pound native of Annandale, N.J. was signed as an undrafted college free agent.
Cuglietta, 23, collected 41 points (25-16=41) in 38 games during his senior season at Lake Superior State University. Cuglietta paced the NCAA in scoring with 25 goals while also registering a team high plus-24 rating. In four seasons, the Kamloops, British Columbia native produced 100 points (50-50=100) in 147 NCAA games to wrap up his collegiate career.
Dellandrea, 18, spent the 2018-19 campaign with the Flint Firebirds of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) and led the club with 63 points (22-41=63) in 60 games. Over three seasons with Flint, the forward has amassed 146 points (62-84=146) in 184 games. The 6-foot-1, 190 pound center from Toronto, Ontario was selected by the Stars in the first round (13th overall) of the 2018 NHL Draft.
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, and return home to begin a four-game home stand against the Grand Rapids Griffins on Wednesday, March 17 at 7:00 p.m. Ticket packages for the 2019-20 campaign are on sale now. For more information or to renew your seats, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2019
- Jarry's 38 Saves Force Overtime, But Penguins Lose, 1-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Pilon Lifts Bears to Overtime Win over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Snag a Point But Fall in OT 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Edge Checkers, 2-1, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Sign Forward Luke Philp - Stockton Heat
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Oleg Sosunov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game #57 Preview: Tucson vs. Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sabres Reassign Forward Matej Pekar to Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Weekly: Four Atlantic Division Games Populate Penguins' Upcoming Schedule - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Texas Stars Add Five Skaters to Roster - Texas Stars
- Griffins Continue Road Trip in Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - March 19, 2019 - Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 24 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks, Monroe County Partner for Refresh Recycling Night March 27 against Lehigh Valley - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.