Sabres Reassign Forward Matej Pekar to Amerks
(Rochester, NY) - Rochester Americans General Manager Randy Sexton announced today that the Buffalo Sabres have reassigned forward Matej Pekar to the Amerks.
"We're pleased that Matej will be joining us in Rochester as part of continuing his development process," said Sexton. "He is coming off a long-term injury, so whether he plays games remains to be seen. More importantly, he'll have the opportunity to immerse himself in the pro hockey environment, which we believe is a critical component of any young player's development."
Pekar, 19, recently completed his first season with the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), recording 36 points (14+22) in 33 games. The 6-foot-0, 175-pound forward posted nine multi-point games during the 2018-19 campaign, which included five three-point games. He opened the slate with a season-long six-game point streak where he totaled 10 points (5+5) from Sept. 20 to Oct. 6.
Prior to joining the Colts, the Turnov, Czech Republic, native spent the 2017-18 season with the Muskegon Lumberjacks (UHSL), where he finished second on the team with 54 points (14+40) in 56 games, earning USHL Rookie of the Year honors. Pekar's 40 assists, which led all Lumberjacks, ranked fourth in the USHL while his 54 points were tied for 12th-most in the league.
Internationally, Pekar has represented the Czech Republic on multiple occasions, most recently at the 2019 IIHF World U-20 Championship. He was also a member of the 2018 U-18 team and helped the Czechs to a second-place finish at the 2017 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament.
Pekar was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in the fourth round (94th overall) of the 2018 NHL Draft.
Individual game tickets for the 2018-19 season start at just $14. Amerks 2019-20 Season Ticket Memberships, which start as low as just $14 per game, are on-sale now. Full-season ticket member benefits include, but are not limited to, Riverside Club VIP Room access with Amerks Alumni, family meet and greet and annual Skate with the Players event, an exclusive preseason Ice Breaker Party and much more. For more information, visit www.amerks.com or call 1-855-GO-AMERKS.
Images from this story
Buffalo Sabres forward Matej Pekar
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2019
- Jarry's 38 Saves Force Overtime, But Penguins Lose, 1-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Pilon Lifts Bears to Overtime Win over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Snag a Point But Fall in OT 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Edge Checkers, 2-1, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Sign Forward Luke Philp - Stockton Heat
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Oleg Sosunov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game #57 Preview: Tucson vs. Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sabres Reassign Forward Matej Pekar to Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Weekly: Four Atlantic Division Games Populate Penguins' Upcoming Schedule - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Texas Stars Add Five Skaters to Roster - Texas Stars
- Griffins Continue Road Trip in Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - March 19, 2019 - Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 24 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks, Monroe County Partner for Refresh Recycling Night March 27 against Lehigh Valley - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Give the Gift of Hockey with Amerks 65th Anniversary Holiday Packs
- Amerks Partner with T-Mobile for 'Fueling the Frontlines' Community Outreach Initiative
- Sabres Sign Tokarski to Multi-Year Deal
- Cyclones Extend Affiliation Agreement with the Buffalo Sabres & Rochester Americans
- Fogarty Agrees to One-Year Deal with Sabres