Pilon Lifts Bears to Overtime Win over Penguins
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears closed their 12-game season series against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins with a dramatic, 1-0 overtime win on Tuesday night at Giant Center. Vitek Vanecek recorded his second shutout of the season, and ninth in his American Hockey League career, after stopping all 17 shots in net. The Bears conclude their season series against the Baby Pens with a 9-2-0-1 record.
Vanecek and Penguins goaltender Tristan Jarry displayed a classic goaltending duel, and played 60 minutes without a single goal scored in regulation. The Hershey netminder stopped a key breakaway in the second period, and Jarry led the Pens penalty kill unit to a 4-for-4 night. Shots at the end of regulation were 38-17 Bears.
At 1:14 of the sudden-death overtime, Garrett Pilon ended the game with a snipe on Jarry over the glove-hand. Pilon broke down the right wing with speed following a headman pass from fellow forward Mike Sgarbossa. The 1-0 win marks Hershey's fourth shutout of the season, and second coming by a score of 1-0 in overtime. On Jan. 16, the Bears extended their eventual historic, 17-game point streak to three games in a 1-0 overtime win over the Binghamton Devils. Ryan Sproul scored the lone goal for the Chocolate and White.
The victory tonight extends Hershey's current point streak to seven games. The Bears return to action on Saturday, Mar. 23 with the first of back-to-back games against the Cleveland Monsters. Puck drop from Quicken Loans Arena is scheduled for 7 p.m. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2019
- Jarry's 38 Saves Force Overtime, But Penguins Lose, 1-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Pilon Lifts Bears to Overtime Win over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Snag a Point But Fall in OT 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Edge Checkers, 2-1, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Sign Forward Luke Philp - Stockton Heat
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Oleg Sosunov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game #57 Preview: Tucson vs. Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sabres Reassign Forward Matej Pekar to Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Weekly: Four Atlantic Division Games Populate Penguins' Upcoming Schedule - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Texas Stars Add Five Skaters to Roster - Texas Stars
- Griffins Continue Road Trip in Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - March 19, 2019 - Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 24 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks, Monroe County Partner for Refresh Recycling Night March 27 against Lehigh Valley - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Hershey Bears Statement Regarding the Suspension of the AHL Season
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Gains Momentum for Big Road Weekend
- Hershey's March 20 Game at Lehigh Valley Added to TV Schedule
- Bears Recall Chris McCarthy from South Carolina
- Bears Comeback Late, Fall in Shootout to Bruins