Jarry's 38 Saves Force Overtime, But Penguins Lose, 1-0
HERSHEY, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins contended to collect a point in a 1-0 overtime loss to the Hershey Bears on Tuesday at Giant Center.
Tristan Jarry played a large role in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (30-24-7-3) and its opponent playing to a scoreless 60 minutes of regulation. The Penguins' netminder put forth a heroic, 38-save showing to keep the Bears at bay long enough to secure a point in the standings. However, Garrett Pilon robbed Jarry of the shutout by scoring the game-winner in overtime.
Hershey peppered Jarry with 11 shots in the first period, but he was up to the task every time. Jarry then came up with two big saves on the Bears' third power play of the night to keep the clubs deadlocked midway through the middle frame.
Moments after Jarry's spectacular goaltending allowed the Penguins to escape the penalty kill unscathed, Bears goalie Vítek Vanecek stood up to his biggest test to that point. Vanecek denied Ryan Haggerty on a clean breakaway, maintaining the two rivals' 0-0 score. By the end of two periods, Hershey had doubled up Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in shots for a total of 23-11.
Hershey put forth its most ferocious effort in the third and final frame of regulation, firing 16 shots on Jarry, but the Penguins' goaltender had a response every single time. Neither team found the back of the net in 60 minutes of action and onto overtime they went.
Garrett Pilon took a drop pass in the high slot and wristed a shot over the glove of Jarry to light the lamp for the game's only goal and secure the victory for Hershey 1:14 into overtime.
Jarry received second-star honors at the end of his 11th straight start for the Penguins, stopping all 38 shots in regulation time. Vanecek turned aside all 17 shots he faced to earn the shutout.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is Friday, Mar. 22 against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. The Phantoms' final visit to Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza this season also serves as an Eyewitness News Fan Friday, with lower bowl tickets available for $14 and select draught beers on sale for $2 from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. Puck drop between the Penguins and Phantom is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Individual tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins' offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, including full season and Flexbook plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's brand new high definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV, which include live and archived games, begin at just $79.99 for the entire 2018-19 regular season. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2018-19 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2019
- Jarry's 38 Saves Force Overtime, But Penguins Lose, 1-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Pilon Lifts Bears to Overtime Win over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Snag a Point But Fall in OT 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Edge Checkers, 2-1, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Sign Forward Luke Philp - Stockton Heat
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Oleg Sosunov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game #57 Preview: Tucson vs. Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sabres Reassign Forward Matej Pekar to Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Weekly: Four Atlantic Division Games Populate Penguins' Upcoming Schedule - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Texas Stars Add Five Skaters to Roster - Texas Stars
- Griffins Continue Road Trip in Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - March 19, 2019 - Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 24 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks, Monroe County Partner for Refresh Recycling Night March 27 against Lehigh Valley - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.