Tajon Buchanan Called in to Canada Men's National Team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Revolution midfielder Tajon Buchanan has been called into the Canada Men's National Team for two upcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. Buchanan will be available for the Revolution in today's match against FC Cincinnati (3:00 p.m. ET - TV38, myRITV, CoziTV, 98.5 The Sports Hub, 1260 AM Nossa Radio) before joining Canada for matches against Aruba on June 5 at IMG Stadium in Bradenton, Fla., and Suriname on June 8 at SeatGeek Stadium in Chicago, Ill.
Buchanan, 22, is seeking his first international cap with Canada in its upcoming World Cup qualifiers. The Brampton, Ontario native accepted his first career call up to Canada's senior team for its January 2021 training camp, before featuring in all four of the Under-23 side's matches at the 2020 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship, which was played in March 2021. His tournament was highlighted by a first-half brace in The Canucks' opening game against El Salvador. Buchanan was named the Canadian Youth International Player of the Year following a breakout 2020 season that saw him lead all Canadian MLS players in games played.
After the first two World Cup Qualifying matches in March, Canada sits atop Group B with a 2-0-0 record and a goal differential of 15, with 16 goals scored and one goal conceded. In Group B, Canada is competing against Suriname, Bermuda, Aruba, and the Cayman Island. The Canada Men's National Team is also preparing for Concacaf Gold Cup action kicking off this July. For more information on the Canada's squad for the upcoming qualifiers, click here.
Currently in his third MLS season, Buchanan owns 40 career appearances, including 20 starts, with three goals and five assists. This season, he has collected one goal and one assist through seven games played, including the game-winning goal in New England's most recent match on May 22 vs. New York Red Bulls. After making 10 appearances during his rookie campaign in 2019, he became a fixture in the Revolution's lineup in 2020 and finished the year as one of two Revs players to appear in all 23 regular season games. He played an instrumental role in helping New England reach the Eastern Conference Final by starting all four MLS Cup Playoff games at right back and scoring the game-winning goal in Round One against Philadelphia.
Buchanan was originally selected by New England with the ninth-overall selection in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft following a standout career at Syracuse University.
Following Saturday's away match at Cincinnati, the Revolution will have a nearly three-week break for the FIFA international break before resuming the season on Saturday, June 19 at New York City FC. To view the Revolution's complete MLS schedule, visit https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/schedule.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 29, 2021
- Sporting Earns Thrilling 3-2 Win over Houston - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Falls to Colorado Rapids 3-0 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Fall to Sporting Kansas City 3-2 - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 1, San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Saturday, May 29, 2021 - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Stopped by LA Galaxy's 70th Minute Goal - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Jonathan Menéndez - Real Salt Lake
- Notes & Quotes: Los Angeles FC 1 - 2 New York City FC - New York City FC
- LAFC Suffers First Home Defeat of the Season, Falls 2-1 to New York City FC - Los Angeles FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Austin FC - May 30, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends Unbeaten Streak to Seven Heading into International Break - Nashville SC
- Free Kick Dooms FC Cincinnati - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Defeat FC Cincinnati, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Draws 2-2 vs. Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- New York Defeats Orlando City SC, 2-1, at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- CF Montréal Posts 2-1 Win over Chicago - Club de Foot Montreal
- Lions Drop First Decision of 2021, Fall on Road to New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 1-0 to CF Montréal - Chicago Fire FC
- Earthquakes Face California Clasico Rival LA Galaxy Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Tajon Buchanan Called in to Canada Men's National Team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - New England Revolution
- James Pantemis and Samuel Piette Selected by Canada - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: October 21, 2021
- Revolution Earn 21st Win in 3-2 Comeback at D.C. United
- Revolution Visit D.C. United on Wednesday Night
- Revolution Academy Goalkeeper Ryan Carney Receives U.S. U-17 Call-Up
- New England Revolution Players Collaborative Fund Donates $10,000 Each to Dress for Success Providence and Bottom Line Boston