T-Bones Closing in on Post-Season Play; Defeat Wichita 12-6
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - An eight-run fourth inning for Kansas City sealed a win over the Wichita Wingnuts Friday evening 12-6 at T-Bones Stadium. The T-Bones continue to hold second place in the league, as they have for most of the season, 2.5 games ahead of Wichita.
In the first, the T-Bones took an early 2-0 lead with a two-run RBI single by Noah Perio Jr. that scored Todd Cunningham and Mason Davis.
But Wichita answered back quickly evening up the score 2-2. With no outs in the top of the second and runners in scoring position, a two-run RBI single to center by John Nester brought home Tony Thomas and Chase Simpson.
Mason Davis scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the third when Colin Walsh dropped an RBI single into left.
The bottom of the fourth saw Kansas City break it open, sending 11 batters to the plate and scoring EIGHT runs - the second-most runs scored in an inning this year for the T-Bones.
Adrian Nieto led off with a ground rule-double to right center. He moved up to third on a fielder's choice, then was brought on by Keith Curcio with a ground ball through the hole on the left side. With bases loaded and two out, Mason Davis came up to the plate as the next batter. He lined to center for a two-run RBI double that scored Alay Lago and Curcio to make it 6-2 KC. Wichita brought in relief pitcher James Campbell, who hit the first batter he faced, Todd Cunningham to load the bases. Campbell then walked Colin Walsh to push home the T-Bones seventh run of the game.
Noah Perio Jr. then hit into a fielder's choice that put out Walsh and scored Davis, solidifying KC's lead at by six at 8-2. Then, an explosive three-run home run by Adrian Nieto to the Wichita bullpen in left center put KC up 11-2.
Wichita grabbed a pair of runs in the top of the fifth. The T-Bones gave up a single, a walk and a passed ball, then Logan Watkins hit an infield sacrifice to score Logan Trowbridge and make it 11-3. Zach Nehrir dropped a ball into right center for a double that brought home Leo Vargas.
In the bottom of the fifth, Keith Curcio slammed the ball to right-center for a stand-up triple. Mason Davis hit a double past the third baseman to bring home Curcio and make it 12-4 KC.
Wichita grabbed a run in the sixth on an RBI single by Tony Thomas, making it 12-5. They had a late ninth inning run off an RBI single by Abel Nieves.
But that would be the last of any type of comeback as Kansas City grabbed the win with a final of 12-6.
T-Bones starter Barett Astin had a strong performance in the early innings, retiring eight straight in the second, third and fourth innings. He struck out six batters and gave up only one walk in six innings of work.
The T-Bones hit the road to close out the regular season and work towards clinching a playoff appearance. The first of the three-game series against the Gary SouthShore RailCats is at 4:10 pm Saturday.
You can listen to all of the action with the voice of the T-Bones, Dan Vaughan Jr., at http://mixlr.com/t-bones-baseball/.
For additional information or interview requests, members of the media may contact the T-Bones Media Relations Department at (817) 739-3693. Stay tuned to www.tbonesbaseball.com. and the T-Bones Facebook and Twitter pages for updates throughout the season.
Images from this story
A big swing by the Kansas City T-Bones
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2018
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Swept in Sioux City, Head to Texas to Wrap 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Rally to Win Home Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short in Home Finale - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Explorers Pick up 70th Win of Season - Sioux City Explorers
- Railroaders Swept in Lincoln - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Lose Lead Late, Drop into Tie for First with Three Games Left - St. Paul Saints
- Crosby's 4 RBIs Leads Gary to 6-5 Victory and Series Sweep - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Eight-Run Fourth Dooms Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Closing in on Post-Season Play; Defeat Wichita 12-6 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer - Chicago Dogs
- Kansas City T-Bones Baseball Club to Seek New Local Ownership - Kansas City T-Bones
- Collier Heads into the Record Book in 6-0 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.